Electronic Mail (e-mail) is one of most widely used services of Internet. This service allows an Internet user to send a message in formatted manner (mail) to other Internet user in any part of the world. Message in mail not only contain text, but it also contains images, audio and videos data. The person who is sending mail is called sender and person who receives mail is called recipient. It is just like postal mail service.
Advantages of E-mail :
- E-mails provides faster and easy mean of communication. One can send message to any person at any place of world by just clicking mouse.
- Various folders and sub-folders can be created within inbox of mail, so it provide management of messages.
- It is effective and cheap means of communication because single message can be send to multiple people at same time.
- E-mails are very easy to filter. User according to his/her priority can prioritize e-mail by specifying subject of e-mail.
- E-mail is not just only for textual message. One can send any kind of multimedia within mail.
- E-mail can be send at any hour of day, thus ensures timeliness of message.
- It is secure and reliable method to deliver our message.
- It also provide facility for edition and formatting of textual messages.
- There is also facility of auto-responders in e-mail i.e. to send automated e-mails with certain text.
- To write an e-mail there is no need of any kind of paper, thus it is environment friendly.
Disadvantages of E-mail :
- It is source of viruses. It is capable to harm one’s computer and read out user’s e-mail address book and send themselves to number of people around the world.
- It can be source of various spams. These spam mails can fill up inbox and to deletion of these mail consumes lot of time.
- It is informal method of communication. The documents those require signatures are not managed by e-mail.
- To use facility of e-mail, user must have an access to internet and there are many parts of world where people does not have access to Internet.
- Sometimes, e-mails becomes misunderstood as it is not capable of expressing emotions.
- To be updated, user have to check inbox from time-to-time.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Cryptocurrency in 2020
- Advantages and Disadvantages of working in a Startup
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Chatbots in Business?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Cloud Security
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Auto-CAD
- Advantages of Online Preparation for Class 12 CBSE Board
- Advantages of cracking GATE from Indian Perspective
- What Are the Advantages of Associating With Companies During College?
- 7 Steps for Mastering the Intro Email to a Prospective Employer
- Lex Program to check valid email
- How to Create an Email Newsletter ?
- How To Create a Temporary Email Address?
- Univariate, Bivariate and Multivariate data and its analysis
- Need of Data Structures and Algorithms for Deep Learning and Machine Learning
- Endian order and binary files
- Look-and-Say Sequence
- How to install, configure and use GIT on ubuntu?
- Worms, Viruses and beyond !!
- LAMP installation and important PHP configurations on Ubuntu
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.