Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer
Pre-Requisite: Basics of Computer
The computer is a programmed device with a group of instructions to perform specific tasks and generate results at a really high speed. A Computer is a machine that can solve difficult and different problems, process data, store & retrieve data and perform calculations faster and more accurately as compared to humans.
The literal meaning of a computer may be a device that will calculate. Its full form can be abbreviated as Commonly Operated Machine Particularly Used For Training, Education, and Research.
However, modern computers can do tons of quiet calculations. The computer can be defined as a machine that receives input stores it and then process the stored data as per the instructions given by the user of the computer and finally gives the output as required.
Characteristics of Computer
- Speed: The computer helps in saving time. It performs several tasks and multiple calculations in a few bit of seconds that takes us hours to solve. We measure the speed of computers in terms of GigaHertz (Ghz) and MegaHertz (MHz).
- Accuracy: Works done by a computer have better accuracy than the work done by a human being. The errors occur in a computer by entering wrong data by a human being. A computer performs tasks quickly and accurately.
- Memory: A computer can store billions of data and these records are easily accessible with high accuracy. We measure computer storage in terms of Bytes, like KiloBytes (KB), Megabytes (MB), Gigabytes (GB), etc.
- Versatility: The simple meaning of Versatility is performing more than one task, and as everyone knows, Computers are capable of performing more than one task at a time, hence it is highly versatile.
- Automation: Today’s World is full of automation as we rapidly move towards Artificial Intelligence (AI). This feature of the computer replaces thousands of workers by performing tasks automatically.
Advantages of Computer
- Multitasking: Multitasking is one of the main advantages of computers. A person can do multiple tasks, and multiple operations at the same time, and calculate numerical problems within a few seconds. The computer can perform millions or trillions of work in one second.
- Speed: Now the computer isn’t just a calculating device. Now a day’s computer has a vital role in human life. One of the most advantages of computers is their incredible speed, which helps human to finish their task in a few seconds.
- Cost/ Stores huge: Amount of knowledge it’s a coffee cost solution. A person can save huge data within a coffee budget. A centralized database for storing information is a major advantage that will reduce costs.
- Accuracy: One of the essential advantages of computers is they will perform not only calculations but also with accuracy.
- Data Security: Protecting digital data is understood as data security.
- Task completer: Completes tasks that might be impossible for humans to complete.
- Communication: The computer helps the user better understand and communicate with other devices.
- Productivity: The level of productivity gets automatically doubled as the computer can do the work very fast.
- Reduces workload: Information is often accessed by more than one person with the necessity for work to be duplicated.
- Reliability: Computers can perform the same sort of work repeatedly without throwing up errors thanks to tiredness or boredom, which are quite common among humans.
- Storage: The pc has an in-built memory where it can store an outsized amount of knowledge. You can also store data in auxiliary storage devices.
Disadvantages of computer
- Virus and hacking attacks: A virus may be a worm and hacking is just unauthorized access over a computer for a few illicit purposes. Viruses can go to another system from email attachments, viewing an infected website advertisement, through removable devices like USBs, etc.
- Online Cyber Crimes: Online cyber-crime means computers and networks may have been utilized in order to commit a crime. Cyberstalking and fraud are the points that come under online cyber crimes.
- Reduction in employed opportunity: Mainly past generation hasn’t used the pc or they need the knowledge of computers they faced an enormous problem when computers came into the field.
- High Cost: Computers are expensive. Even the foremost affordable computers are still very expensive for the typical person in South Africa. Since computers empower people.
- Distractions/disruptions: If you’ve got ever spent hours browsing the web or watching videos on YouTube, then you recognize how distracting computers can be! Because of their high entertainment value.
- Increases waste and impacts the environment: With the speed at that computer and other electronics get replaced, all of the old devices that get thrown away have a big impact on the environment.
- Health Problems: Prolonged use of computers can lead to various health Hazards. Too much sitting near the screen results in eye strain and drying up of the eyes. Also, prolonged sitting leads to neck and back problems.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!