Understanding Runtime Application Self Protection
RASP term stands for Runtime Application Self Protection. A security driven technology that uses runtime instrumentation to detect and block computer attacks by taking advantage of information from its own software. RASP is an innovated application security ecosystem made specially to deal with runtime attacks on software’s application layered by providing more visibility throughout all hidden harms.
It contains super essential security software that integrates with application or its runtime environment and the intercepting calls which keeps a check on the security. A RASP security software does not wait the threat to show its impact on the app. Instead, it keeps hunting for malware in the traffic event which practically helps a lot more in order to prevents fake calls from executing inside the apps application.
Working of RASP Security : RASP technology is officially server-based technology which works hand on hand with runtime application. It can be triggered by integrating function called by app source code. Most of the developers prefers using trigger calls within the code-base which actually allows construct customized security system based on their business requirements.
By using this method precise protection perimeter can be determined. A RASP layer fits with the application code and monitors the incoming traffic to the server and APIs of the application. RASP fulfills gap left by application security system by testing and controlling network perimeter, neither of which have enough insight into real -time data whereas event flows to either prevent vulnerabilities through a reviewed process or blocks upcoming threats.
RASP Security Deployment Modes :
- Off mode
- Monitoring mode
- Block mode
- Block at perimeter mode .
Benefits of RASP security :
As it works inside the application rather from an isolated network protection method, so it has a number of benefits. Also, it’s characteristic allows RASP to provide codebase information, APIs system configuration, runtime data, logic flow and many more.
- Intelligent Penetration Testing : With RASP technology an effective penetration takes place which removes vulnerability and runs the program conveniently.
- Smarter incident response : RASP technology enables smarter and faster incident responsible. Due to the depth visibility of an applications runtime allows and activates security logging features, developers experience real time data of behavior within the application.
- Visibility of runtime attack : Traditionally, developers can’t collect runtime application security data, so now the security structure is designed on the basis of speculation and guesses. A lot of things changed and developed within integration of RASP software.
- Support compliance development : Apart from best in providing security, it supremely supports as well as implements the development aspect of applications. This eventually allows to develop more secured application compliant with very less defects.
- Legacy application protection : it a valuable asset for an whole enterprise. However, in this modern technology protection of legacy is hardest. RASP technology solves the whole issue and allows to wrap legacy app with use of advanced security features .
- Added layer of protection : When coupled with WAF and IPS security setups, RASP acts added layer of protection which improves security and reduces vulnerabilities also eliminates app threats,
- Self protection : once in deployed zone, RASP acts as independent security system that not only detects defects and also eliminates threats which includes very minimal human intervention. Thus, provides self protection.
- Cost efficient : RASP is highly cost-effective solution considering the immense amount of security offered. Eventually it’s a low maintenance technology that protects apps from all kind of vulnerabilities.
- Better training development : developer training is an integral an important part of any security team which specifically helps in reducing all vulnerabilities in application development. By using RASP actively, more precise information can be structured.
RASP can make most of it when :
- RASP performs at it best when indulged in a part of a comprehensive application security programs.
- RASP solutions works best under DevSecOps ecosystem.
- Proper Testing of RASP solution prior implementation process.
Putting all this together there are still certain challenges faced :
- Its new in market as young technology so had to challenges.
- Is related with app health directly.
- Performs and evolves better with DevSecOps.
- Needs app code as well as WAF.
Going through all this RASP has some downsides too like it cant protect against all vulnerabilities and yes it can be expected too. It also sometime fails to fix defects in an application code. Sometimes affects to the application performance also.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...