Developers can easily build a website for someone else and for their purpose of starting a business. Well, running a startup successfully can be difficult if you haven’t chosen the right payment gateway service. A right payment gateway service allows customers for the easy transaction on your website. If you ignore the most important part of your website that is integrating the payment gateway then probably you won’t get the result on your website which you are looking for. It is just like building a swanky store without a proper and efficient billing counter.
As an organization, you need to be careful while choosing a payment gateway option. It should be according to the customer’s experience on your websites through to cash flow to online sales. Make sure that you take care of at least 5 things mentioned below while choosing a payment gateway…
- Security should be the topmost priority. Make sure that it should be integrated with the 3D secure and comply with the PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
- Payout Time should be less to credit money in your bank account.
- Integration need to be easy and simple or it can develop a custom-coded solution for your platform easily.
- Multiple currencies should be handled by the payment gateway for the customers using different currencies across the world.
Here we are going to discuss 7 common payment gateways service which is quite popular among developers and a lot of tech companies are using it for the various kinds of businesses.
Stripe was launched in 2010 and it is one of the most industry-standard payment gateways loved by a lot of developers. When you visit on the site you will find a Developer First section over there which is quite impressive and it makes one thing clear that it was designed keeping the developers in mind. Stripe payment API for developers gives access to methods for accepting payments, managing subscription, tracking user accounts and sending invoices. The user interface is best in the industry. A lot of good companies are using its services such as Lyft, Postmates, Doordash, TaskRabbit, Deliveroo, Slack, Kickstarter, and Pinterest. Let’s discuss some of its key features.
- Vivid and detailed documentation for developers to implement the service
- Best developer and marketplace tools. It allows you to build powerful connections with leading marketplaces and third-party software, reach out to new audiences, and maximize renewal.
- Suitable for international transactions.
- Suitable for large companies who can employ the developers in the house or hire web development companies for their project.
- Stripe allows you to build and incorporate trial periods in your plans, or give coupons to help you devise and refine your strategies.
- Domestic: 2% for most cards issued in India and 3% for cards issued outside of India.
- International: 4.3% for cards issued anywhere. Additional 2% for currency conversion.
Paypal is indeed one of the most popular payment gateways and it is well known for all the countries. Paypal is providing services for the last two decades and now it’s providing services in more than 200 markets around the world. Currently, it has more than 237 million active accounts holders with several platforms including Braintree, Venmo, and Xoom. Paypal is new in India so the onboarding process is a little bit painful for India. The reason could be the staff who are a little bit undertrained for the verification process. Let’s discuss some of its key features…
- Paypal allows their merchant and the consumer to perform a transaction in more than 100 currencies, funds can be withdrawn ìn 56 currencies, and hold balances in 25 currencies in their Paypal registered account.
- No withdrawal fees on, no startup fee, no termination fee and no monthly fees.
- Mobile App Payment Gateway Integration: iOS and Android.
- Different plans available as per the needs.
- You are not required to store credit card or bank account information on your server, it permits high-security payments on low-security websites and makes PCI compliance easier, even on low-cost or free tier cloud hosting.
- Annual maintenance Charge: Free, Zero maintenance charges.
- Transaction Fee per Transaction: 4.4% + fixed fee based on the currency
Find the complete detail of fees from the link Paypal
Razorpay is the only payment gateway in India that allows businesses to accept, process and disburse payments with its product suite. It allows you to access all the payment modes including credit card, debit card, net banking, UPI and popular wallets including Airtel Money, FreeCharge, JioMoney, PayUmoney, Ola Mone, Mobikwik and PayZapp. Razorpay also has an amazing UI interface and the onboarding process is pretty easy. Razorpay only works with the current account, you can not operate with this company if you have a saving account or you just want to test out your business. Let’s discuss some of its key features.
- Documentation is top notch in the industry just onto the exact same level of Stripe.
- Supported eCommerce CMS System: All major ones such as WooCommerce, Magento, CS-Cart, Opencart, Shopify, WHCMS, WordPress, Arastta, Prestashop.
- Mobile App Integration: Mobile SDK’s for Android and iOS via Cordova/Phonegap.
- Annual maintenance Charge: Zero, no one time setup fee.
- Transaction fee per transaction: 2% per successful transaction; +1% for Diners and Amex Cards, International Cards, EMI.
Another competition for the Razorpay is PayU (formerly known as PayU Money) which is the product of an Indian payment processing corporation. PayU is one of the best and simplest online payment solution that was designed to fill in the gaps left by complex service providers. They have an easy sign-up and quick onboarding process also it takes minimal development effort. The user interface is pretty nice. The service offers a single integrated solution that lets users start receiving local payments in all locations where it operates. PayU offers more than 250 local payment methods and multiple currency options. Let’s discuss some of its key features…
- International Payment / Credit card Support: Supported
- 100+ Payment Options including UPI, debit/credit cards and netbanking
- Documentation is best in the industry as in the same bar of Stripe and Razorpay.
- Supported eCommerce CMS Systems: All major CMS supported
- Mobile App Integration: Android, Windows and iOS.
- Accept payments in 100+ currencies
- Annual maintenance Charge: Zero, no setup charges.
- Transaction Fee per Transaction: 2% + GST for each transaction. For American Express & Diners Cards, transaction fees = 3% + GST for international transactions & EMI payment options, there is a set-up fee that needs to be paid along with Annual Maintenance Charges (AMC). Also, the transaction rates are 3% + 6Rs for every transaction.
Instamojo is another payment gateway option that is getting which is getting a lot of attention these days. They have a pretty good onboarding process. You can just enter your tax information, bank details and that’s pretty much to set up your account within an hour. Instamojo works with the saving accounts, you don’t need to have a checking account. The user interface is also very nice. Let’s discuss some of its key features…
- Documentation is pretty good of Instamojo.
- Multiple Payment Options available including UPI, debit/credit cards, netbanking and wallets
- Supported eCommerce CMS System: All major ones such as Magento, Prestashop, Opencart etc.
- Annual maintenance Charge: Zero
- Transaction Fee per Transaction: 2% + Rs 3 per transaction.
Paytm is the Indian giant and it is one of the leading online payment service providers. Paytm is the victim of its success Paytm has a amazing payment gateway. Paytm has a huge number of clients so the onboarding can take some more time in comparison with other payment gateways options. Paytm provide a lot of options for payment including all the debit/credit cards, net banking, UPI, wallets and a lot more. The user interface for Paytm is also good. Paying with Paytm could be beneficial for a small eCommerce merchant. Let’s discuss some of its key features…
- Domestic Credit Cards supported: Visa, Master, Maestro, Amex, Discover and Diners
- Shopping Cart Kits currently available: Opencart, Magento, Zencart, WordPress, Woocommerce, Joomla Virtue Mart, Prestashop, OSCommerce, WordPress Ecommerce, Ubercart, Easy digital, WHMCS, ViArt, Opencart, CScart, Virtuemart, Drupal Commerce, Moodle, Nopcommerce, Gravity forms.
- Integration kits are available in the following environments: PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby On Rails, JSP, VB.NET
- Mobile App Integration: Available for both Android, iOS.
- No setup fee. No recurring fee and No Annual Maintenence Charges
- Applicable Fee per Transaction: Check the link Paytm Pricing
CCAvenue is one of the largest payment gateway India that offers a wide range of payment options. They offer 200+ payment options inclusive of 6 credit cards such as Amex, JCB, Diners Club, Mastercard, Visa, and eZeClick. CCAvenue also allows a Multilingual payment page in 18 major Indian and international languages. Their onboarding process is complicated for users. They still work on manual or physical paperwork which is a pain for most of the people. You will have to send the couriers and files and it may take months in the onboarding process. CCAvenue documentation is amazing, a lot of blogs and articles are there to integrate almost any tech stack. CCAvenue user interface is decent. Let’s discuss some of the key features…
- International Payment / Credit card Support: Supported on CCAvenues. Your eCommerce store can represent your product pricing in any number of currencies. Your customers can check-out on the CCAvenue payment options page using their desired currency.
- Multi-Currency Support: CCAvenue allows the collection of payments in 27 major foreign currencies.
- Supported eCommerce CMS System: CCAvenue has developed API’s for most of the shopping carts such as Buildabazaar, Cubecart, Drupal, Interspire, Joomla, Magento, Magento Go, Martjack, Moodle, NopCommerce, Opencart, OsCommerce, PrestaShop, VirtueMart, WHMCS, WordPress, ZenCart.
- Mobile App Payment Gateway Integration: Android, iOS and Windows.
- No setup fee
- Annual maintenance Charge for a Startup account: Rs 1200
- Transaction Fee per Transaction:
- Domestic Credit & Debit cards on Visa, Mastercard, Maestro RuPay: Flat fee @ 2%
- Wallets: Freecharge, Mobikwik, OlaMoney, Jiomoney, Paytm, PayZapp, Jana Cash, SBI Budd.y
- Mobile Wallet: Flat fee @ 2%
- IMPS & UPI: Flat fee @ 2%
- International Credit Cards on Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB and Diners Club: Flat fee @ 3%
- Taxes extra as applicable from time to time.
Don’t just become a regular developer doing some designing and backend work. As quickly as you get a chance of interacting with any payment gateway, integrating or coding for that please go ahead and get the experience. It’s worth it and it will help you to build your skillset. Choosing one of the powerful APIs allows you to accept payment right on your site. There is no need to redirect your customer to some external website for payment. All the payment gateways services have some pros and cons and being a developer, it’s your job to find the best one for your website considering multiple factors and especially customer experience.
- Top 5 Skills You Must Know Before You Learn ReactJS
- Top 7 Database You Must Know For Software Development Projects
- Top Data Science Trends You Must Know in 2020
- 6 Must-Know Tips for a Top-Tier Programming Resume
- Top 10 Tools That Every Web Developer Must Try Once
- What is Cashless Payment System?
- Top 10 Algorithms every Machine Learning Engineer should know
- Top NoSQL Databases That Every Data Scientist Should Know About
- I Can’t Do Computer Programming – 7 Common Myths You Must Know
- Programming For Beginners: 10 Best HTML Coding Practices You Must Know
- Latest 5 SEO Updates That You Must Know in 2020
- 5 Online Education Etiquette That You Must Know in 2020
- Top 10 Books That Every Programmer Must Read Once
- 10 CSS Selectors Every Developer Should Know
- Introduction To APIs
- 5 GitHub Repositories that Every New Developer Must Follow
- 7 Common Programming Principles That Every Developer Must Follow
- 5 Mistakes That Every Engineering Student Must Avoid
- 7 Common Programming Mistakes That Every Beginner Must Avoid
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.