Given a non-negative number n and two values l and r. The problem is to toggle the bits in the range l to r in the binary representation of n, i.e, to toggle bits from the rightmost lth bit to the rightmost rth bit. A toggle operation flips a bit 0 to 1 and a bit 1 to 0.
Constraint: 1 <= l <= r <= number of bits in the binary representation of n.
Input : n = 17, l = 2, r = 3 Output : 23 (17)10 = (10001)2 (23)10 = (10111)2 The bits in the range 2 to 3 in the binary representation of 17 are toggled. Input : n = 50, l = 2, r = 5 Output : 44
Approach: Following are the steps:
- Calculate num as = ((1 << r) – 1) ^ ((1 << (l-1)) – 1) or as ((1 <<r)-l). This will produce a number num having r number of bits and bits in the range l to r are the only set bits.
- Now, perform n = n ^ num. This will toggle the bits in the range l to r in n.
This article is contributed by Ayush Jauhari. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Toggle bits of a number except first and last bits
- Toggle the last m bits
- Toggle first and last bits of a number
- Toggle all even bits of a number
- Toggle all the bits of a number except k-th bit.
- Toggle all odd bits of a number
- Toggle all bits after most significant bit
- For every set bit of a number toggle bits of other
- Set all the bits in given range of a number
- Unset bits in the given range
- Count set bits in a range
- Check whether all the bits are set in the given range
- Set bits in N equals to M in the given range.
- Copy set bits in a range
- Python | Count set bits in a range
- Check whether all the bits are unset in the given range
- Range query for count of set bits
- Count unset bits in a range
- Check whether all the bits are unset in the given range or not
- Count number of set bits in a range using bitset