What is the time complexity of below function?
Time complexity of above function can be written as 1k + 2k + 3k + … n1k.
Let us try few examples:
k=1 Sum = 1 + 2 + 3 ... n = n(n+1)/2 = n2/2 + n/2 k=2 Sum = 12 + 22 + 32 + ... n12. = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 = n3/3 + n2/2 + n/6 k=3 Sum = 13 + 23 + 33 + ... n13. = n2(n+1)2/4 = n4/4 + n3/2 + n2/4
In general, asymptotic value can be written as (nk+1)/(k+1) + Θ(nk)
Note that, in asymptotic notations like Θ we can always ignore lower order terms. So the time complexity is Θ(nk+1 / (k+1))
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Time Complexity of a Loop when Loop variable “Expands or Shrinks” exponentially
- Time Complexity where loop variable is incremented by 1, 2, 3, 4 ..
- Time taken by Loop unrolling vs Normal loop
- A Time Complexity Question
- An interesting time complexity question
- Time Complexity of building a heap
- How is the time complexity of Sieve of Eratosthenes is n*log(log(n))?
- Practice Questions on Time Complexity Analysis
- Time complexity of recursive Fibonacci program
- Understanding Time Complexity with Simple Examples
- Time Complexity Analysis | Tower Of Hanoi (Recursion)
- Python Code for time Complexity plot of Heap Sort
- C program for Time Complexity plot of Bubble, Insertion and Selection Sort using Gnuplot
- What does 'Space Complexity' mean?
- Cyclomatic Complexity
- Complexity Analysis of Binary Search
- Knowing the complexity in competitive programming
- Complexity analysis of various operations of Binary Min Heap
- Interesting Infinite loop using characters in C
- Loop Invariant Condition with Examples of Sorting Algorithms
Improved By : biplab_prasad