Inorder traversal of a Binary tree can either be done using recursion or with the use of a auxiliary stack. The idea of threaded binary trees is to make inorder traversal faster and do it without stack and without recursion. A binary tree is made threaded by making all right child pointers that would normally be NULL point to the inorder successor of the node (if it exists).
There are two types of threaded binary trees.
Single Threaded: Where a NULL right pointers is made to point to the inorder successor (if successor exists)
Double Threaded: Where both left and right NULL pointers are made to point to inorder predecessor and inorder successor respectively. The predecessor threads are useful for reverse inorder traversal and postorder traversal.
The threads are also useful for fast accessing ancestors of a node.
C representation of a Threaded Node
Following is C representation of a single threaded node.
Since right pointer is used for two purposes, the boolean variable rightThread is used to indicate whether right pointer points to right child or inorder successor. Similarly, we can add leftThread for a double threaded binary tree.
Inorder Taversal using Threads
Following is C code for inorder traversal in a threaded binary tree.
Following diagram demonstrates inorder order traversal using threads.
We will soon be discussing insertion and deletion in threaded binary trees.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Threaded Binary Tree | Insertion
- Convert a Binary Tree to Threaded binary tree | Set 2 (Efficient)
- Convert a Binary Tree to Threaded binary tree | Set 1 (Using Queue)
- Find the maximum path sum between two leaves of a binary tree
- Reverse alternate levels of a perfect binary tree
- Print Right View of a Binary Tree
- Construct Tree from given Inorder and Preorder traversals
- Inorder Tree Traversal without recursion and without stack!
- Inorder Tree Traversal without Recursion
- Level Order Tree Traversal
- If you are given two traversal sequences, can you construct the binary tree?
- Write a Program to Find the Maximum Depth or Height of a Tree
- Write Code to Determine if Two Trees are Identical
- Write a program to Calculate Size of a tree | Recursion
- Tree Traversals (Inorder, Preorder and Postorder)