A nibble is a four-bit aggregation, or half an octet. There are two nibbles in a byte.
Given a byte, swap the two nibbles in it. For example 100 is be represented as 01100100 in a byte (or 8 bits). The two nibbles are (0110) and (0100). If we swap the two nibbles, we get 01000110 which is 70 in decimal.
To swap the nibbles, we can use bitwise &, bitwise ” operators. A byte can be represented using a unsigned char in C as size of char is 1 byte in a typical C compiler.
Below is the implementation of above idea.
100 is 01100100 in binary. The operation can be split mainly in two parts
1) The expression “x & 0x0F” gives us last 4 bits of x. For x = 100, the result is 00000100. Using bitwise ‘<<' operator, we shift the last four bits to the left 4 times and make the new last four bits as 0. The result after shift is 01000000.
2) The expression “x & 0xF0” gives us first four bits of x. For x = 100, the result is 01100000. Using bitwise ‘>>’ operator, we shift the digit to the right 4 times and make the first four bits as 0. The result after shift is 00000110.
At the end we use the bitwise OR ‘|’ operation of the two expressions explained above. The OR operator places first nibble to the end and last nibble to first. For x = 100, the value of (01000000) OR (00000110) gives the result 01000110 which is equal to 70 in decimal.
This article is contributed by Anuj Garg. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Swap all odd and even bits
- Swap bits in a given number
- Swap every two bits in bytes
- C Program to Swap two Numbers
- How to swap two bits in a given integer?
- How to swap two numbers without using a temporary variable?
- Swap three variables without using temporary variable
- Bit manipulation | Swap Endianness of a number
- Number of ways to swap two bit of s1 so that bitwise OR of s1 and s2 changes
- Generate an Array such with elements maximized through swapping bits
- Print all the leaf nodes of Binary Heap
- Minimize K whose XOR with given array elements leaves array unchanged
- Count of elements which cannot form any pair whose sum is power of 2
- Maximum OR value of a pair in an Array | Set 2