The reduce(fun,seq) function is used to apply a particular function passed in its argument to all of the list elements mentioned in the sequence passed along.This function is defined in “functools” module.
- At first step, first two elements of sequence are picked and the result is obtained.
- Next step is to apply the same function to the previously attained result and the number just succeeding the second element and the result is again stored.
- This process continues till no more elements are left in the container.
- The final returned result is returned and printed on console.
The sum of the list elements is : 17 The maximum element of the list is : 6
Using Operator Functions
reduce() can also be combined with operator functions to achieve the similar functionality as with lambda functions and makes the code more readable.
The sum of the list elements is : 17 The product of list elements is : 180 The concatenated product is : geeksforgeeks
reduce() vs accumulate()
Both reduce() and accumulate() can be used to calculate the summation of a sequence elements. But there are differences in the implementation aspects in both of these.
- reduce() is defined in “functools” module, accumulate() in “itertools” module.
- reduce() stores the intermediate result and only returns the final summation value. Whereas, accumulate() returns a list containing the intermediate results. The last number of the list returned is summation value of the list.
- reduce(fun,seq) takes function as 1st and sequence as 2nd argument. In contrast accumulate(seq,fun) takes sequence as 1st argument and function as 2nd argument.
The summation of list using accumulate is :[1, 4, 8, 18, 22] The summation of list using reduce is :22
This article is contributed by Manjeet Singh(S.Nandini). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Tips to reduce Python object size
- Python lambda (Anonymous Functions) | filter, map, reduce
- Python | Find the Number Occurring Odd Number of Times using Lambda expression and reduce function
- Tensorflow | tf.data.Dataset.reduce()
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
Improved By : AmrSaber