Prerequisite – Construction of LL(1) Parsing Table, Classification of top down parsers
Parsing is the process to determine whether the start symbol can derive the program or not. If the Parsing is successful then the program is a valid program otherwise the program is invalid.
There are generally two types of Parsers:
- In this Parsing technique we expand the start symbol to the whole program.
- Recursive Descent and LL parsers are the Top-Down parsers.
- In this Parsing technique we reduce the whole program to start symbol.
- Operator Precedence Parser, LR(0) Parser, SLR Parser, LALR Parser and CLR Parser are the Bottom-Up parsers.
Recursive Descent Parser:
It is a kind of Top-Down Parser. A top-down parser builds the parse tree from the top to down, starting with the start non-terminal. A Predictive Parser is a special case of Recursive Descent Parser, where no Back Tracking is required.
By carefully writing a grammar means eliminating left recursion and left factoring from it, the resulting grammar will be a grammar that can be parsed by a recursive descent parser.
|Before removing left recursion||After removing left recursion|
|E –> E + T | T
T –> T * F | F
F –> ( E ) | id
|E –> T E’
E’ –> + T E’ | e
T –> F T’
T’ –> * F T’ | e
F –> ( E ) | id
**Here e is Epsilon
For Recursive Descent Parser, we are going to write one program for every variable.
Example: Grammar: E --> i E' E' --> + i E' | e
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Difference between LL and LR parser
- Operator grammar and precedence parser in TOC
- Parsing ambiguos grammars using LR parser
- Shift Reduce Parser in Compiler
- Total Recursive Functions and Partial Recursive Functions in Automata
- Recursive Relationships in ER diagrams
- Algorithm for non recursive Predictive Parsing
- Difference between SHA1 and SHA2
- Difference between RSA algorithm and DSA
- Difference between Cross-Assembler and Compiler
- Difference between Register and Memory
- Difference between DELETE, DROP and TRUNCATE
- PROJECT Operation in Relational Algebra
- Difference between 4NF and 5NF