Python defines a set of functions that are used to generate or manipulate random numbers. This particular type of functions are used in a lot of games, lotteries or any application requiring random number generation.
Randon Number Operations :
1. choice() :- This function is used to generate 1 random number from a container.
2. randrange(beg, end, step) :- This function is also used to generate random number but within a range specified in its arguments. This function takes 3 arguments, beginning number (included in generation), last number (excluded in generation) and step ( to skip numbers in range while selecting).
A random number from list is : 4 A random number from range is : 41
3. random() :- This number is used to generate a float random number less than 1 and greater or equal to 0.
4. seed() :- This function maps a particular random number with the seed argument mentioned. All random numbers called after the seeded value returns the mapped number.
A random number between 0 and 1 is : 0.510721762520941 The mapped random number with 5 is : 0.6229016948897019 The mapped random number with 7 is : 0.32383276483316237 The mapped random number with 5 is : 0.6229016948897019 The mapped random number with 7 is : 0.32383276483316237
5. shuffle() :- This function is used to shuffle the entire list to randomly arrange them.
6. uniform(a, b) :- This function is used to generate a floating point random number between the numbers mentioned in its arguments. It takes two arguments, lower limit(included in generation) and upper limit(not included in generation).
The list before shuffling is : 1 4 5 10 2 The list after shuffling is : 2 1 4 5 10 The random floating point number between 5 and 10 is : 5.183697823553464
This article is contributed by Manjeet Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Python | Generate random numbers within a given range and store in a list
- Secrets | Python module to Generate secure random numbers
- Generating random Id's in Python
- random.seed( ) in Python
- Python | random.sample() function
- Python | Get random dictionary pair
- numpy.random.rand() in Python
- SymPy | Permutation.random() in Python
- Generating Random id's using UUID in Python
- Random Walk (Implementation in Python)
- Random Forest Regression in Python
- numpy.random.randn() in Python
- Python | Select random value from a list
- Random sampling in numpy | random() function
- Python | Remove random element from list