The difference_update() method helps in an in-place way of differentiating the set. The previously discussed set difference() helps to find out the difference between two sets and returns a new set with the difference value, but the difference_update() updates the existing caller set.
If A and B are two sets. The set difference() method will get the (A – B) and will return a new set. The set difference_update() method modifies the existing set. If (A – B) is performed, then A gets modified into (A – B), and if (B – A) is performed, then B gets modfied into (B – A).
A.difference_update(B) for (A - B) B.difference_update(A) for (B - A)
The function returns None and changes the value of the existing set.
In this example, we will get the difference between two sets and show how the difference_update works.
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- set add() in python
- Python vs PHP
- try and except in Python
- bin() in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.