In this article, we are going to learn how to check whether any website is running or it’s down with a simple Python script. We will use Python’s requests library for sending ‘get’ request and ‘smtplib’ library for sending email notification when the website is up.It means we don’t need to check every time. Our Python program will notify us via email when the site is running.
This script simply checks whether a website is up or not. If it is up then it will send an email about this, if it is down then it will keep checking and when the site will be up, it will send an email and terminate.
Go to command prompt and write this command:
pip install requests, smtplib
Below are the steps:
- Put the entire code into a try block, to handle the exception.
- Send a get request to the website we want.
- If website is not running, then we don’t get a response thus throwing an exception.
- Then in except block we just print that website is not running.
- If there is no exception thrown, then it means we got the response and website is running.
- Now Create SMTP session for login through gmail.
- Enter your correct gmail id and password.
- Send the mail and done.
Below is the implementation:
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course