We are given a list of pattern strings and a single input string. We need to find all possible close good enough matches of input string into list of pattern strings.
Input : patterns = ['ape', 'apple', 'peach', 'puppy'], input = 'appel' Output : ['apple', 'ape']
We can solve this problem in python quickly using in built function difflib.get_close_matches().
How does difflib.get_close_matches() function work in Python ?
difflib.get_close_matches(word, possibilities, n, cutoff) accepts four parameters in which n, cutoff are optional. word is a sequence for which close matches are desired, possibilities is a list of sequences against which to match word. Optional argument n (default 3) is the maximum number of close matches to return, n must be greater than 0. Optional argument cutoff (default 0.6) is a float in the range [0, 1]. Possibilities that don’t score at least that similar to word are ignored.
The best (no more than n) matches among the possibilities are returned in a list, sorted by similarity score, most similar first.
References : https://docs.python.org/2/library/difflib.html
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Python | Check if suffix matches with any string in given list
- Python | Check if string matches regex list
- Python | Program that matches a word containing 'g' followed by one or more e's using regex
- Python - Extract Indices of substring matches
- Python | Convert List of String List to String List
- Python | os.close() method
- response.close() - Python requests
- How to use close() and quit() method in Selenium Python ?
- Matplotlib.pyplot.close() in Python
- How to open and close a file in Python
- close driver method - Selenium Python
- Python - Convert Tick-by-Tick data into OHLC (Open-High-Low-Close) Data
- Close specific Web page using Selenium in Python
- close() method in PyQt5
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget - Setting Close Event
- PYGLET – On Close Event
- PyCairo - How to close the path?
- Python | Convert list of string to list of list
- Python | Convert list of tuples to list of list
- Python | Get a list as input from user
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.