Given two lists list1 and list2, check if list2 is a subset of list1 and return True or False accordingly.
Input : list1 = [[2, 3, 1], [4, 5], [6, 8]] list2 = [[4, 5], [6, 8]] Output : True Input : list1 = [['a', 'b'], ['e'], ['c', 'd']] list2 = [['g']] Output : False
Let’s discuss few approaches to solve the problem.
Approach #1 : Naive Approach
Take a variable ‘exist’ which keeps track of each element, whether it is present in list1 or not. Start a loop and in each iteration ‘i’, check if ith element is present in list1. If present, set exist to True else false.
Approach #2 : Using Python set
Convert each sublist of both the given nested lists to tuples, because sets can’t hold lists as they rely on their elements being immutable and lists are mutable. But converting them to tuple works well. After this, simply check if set of list2 is a subset of list1 or not.
Approach #3 : Using all and for loop
This method uses a for loop to check if all elements(using all) belongs to list1 or not.
Approach #4 : Using
In this approach we use Python
map() using the “containment check” operator __contains__, checking whether list1 elements are contained withing list2 or not.
- Python | Pair and combine nested list to tuple list
- Python | Convert string List to Nested Character List
- Python | Find maximum length sub-list in a nested list
- Python | Convert a nested list into a flat list
- Python | Convert given list into nested list
- Nested List Comprehensions in Python
- Python | Intersection of two nested list
- Python | How to copy a nested list
- Python | Test for nested list
- Python | Split nested list into two lists
- Python | Remove all occurrences in nested list
- Python | Column wise sum of nested list
- Python | Remove duplicates from nested list
- Python | Find the sublist with maximum value in given nested list
- python | Nested List Intersection Matrix Product
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : shubham_singh