Project Idea – Covid-19 Bed Manager App
Bed Management in this pandemic has become an issue that almost all of the families of covid patients face. But by using the latest technology this problem can be solved, The main reason for this problem is hospitals not having a proper portal for managing beds. Our solution to this problem can be used to save many lives of covid patients. Therefore we have tried to address this problem with help of our project where the focus is to make sure that every covid patient gets a bed. We have achieved this by creating two apps one for users through which they can request a bed in a hospital and another one for hospitals where they can manage beds.
The objective of our app is to provide an efficient bed management system in this pandemic to save lives of covid patients
Problem with the Present System
In the present system, the patient’s relatives have to go from hospital to hospital where after going from 5-10 hospitals if the patient is lucky enough patient gets a bed, but not all people get a bed in hospitals as a result of this they lose their life. And there are many websites available that provide bed management but none of these provide a facility to the patient where they can request for bed themselves neither any app is introduced which makes bed management tasks easy.
The app is designed to solve this problem by providing a bed booking system to the users. The user will be provided bed status of all hospitals in a city and hospital-wise bed status. The patient can request for bed by uploading their Aadhaar card and corona positive certificate for verification. Then at the hospital side, the hospital can see the bed request, and then they can approve or reject the patient’s request the patient receives an SMS on their mobile number to show to the reception when they reach the hospital.
Below are some diagrams that give the idea of the app
Tools and Technologies Used
- Firebase Firestore
Here, for the database, Firebase Firestore is used, which is a NoSQL, document-oriented database. And for sending SMS to users, Twilio API is integrated with PHP and deployed on Heroku.
Implementation of the Project
This project consists of two modules, the Users module, and the Hospitals module. Now we will see the working process of both modules
1. Users Module
- Overall Bed Status Dashboard: On the first page of the app the user will see the overall status of all beds of all the hospitals in the city. There is a button provided from where the users can see the hospital-wise bed status. And also the users can request a bed in a particular hospital.
- Hospital Wise Bed Status Dashboard: Here the user will be able to view hospital wise bed status additional functionality provided here is that a search box is given to the user where the user can search for the hospital by the hospital’s name and also by hospital’s area. When any hospital creates a new account the hospital is auto-updated in the list.
- Request Bed Form: With the help of this form the users can fill in the details of the patient and they have to select a hospital where they want to request for bed in addition to this the users will have to select the time in reaching hospital from up to 6 hours and they need to upload Aadhaar card and corona positive certificate for verification by the hospital.
2. Hospital Module
- Signup/Login Page: The hospital admin will have to create a new account if they have not created one else they can log in by entering email and password and if the entered details are valid then the admin will be redirected to the dashboard.
- Dashboard: After successful login, the admin will be redirected to this page, and this is the main page where the admin can update the bed data also can manage the bed requests, and log out from their account.
- Manage Bed requests: The admin is redirected to this page when manage bed requests button is clicked. Here the admin can view all the bed requests made by users for their hospital. The admin can approve or can reject the bed request when the request is approved by the admin an SMS is sent to the user and the vacant bed count reduces by one.
The Complete Video Explanation
Beforehand for the Bed Management there we were considering only two scenarios ie, hospitals and users. But after analyzing these apps we found that it could be possible that when the government needs the bed data of hospitals then there can be some malpractices in the hospitals. So for this, we have introduced a third scenario ie. Control Room.
Basically what the Control Room will do is it will add a new hospital, delete an existing hospital, and edit the hospital’s data so that transparency is maintained and it is ensured that only such hospitals are there which are approved by the government for covid. Apart from this the control room now assigns a patient to a particular hospital. Here we have also taken care of one more condition where if any patient directly comes to the hospital and gets admitted then the hospital has to inform the control room about the directly admitted patient for that there is an option provided to hospitals to add the directly admitted patients data and the control room can view the hospital wise directly admitted patients.
UML Diagram :
This project will contain three modules Users module, the Hospital’s module, and the Control Room module.
1. Users Module
Here there will be some changes in the Request Bed section
- Request Bed: While filling in the details of the patient the users will not be able to select a hospital as the hospital will be allocated by the control room so alternatively, users will have to mention their area according to that the control room will allocate a nearby hospital to users.
2. Hospital Module
Here the changes that will be made are :
- There will be no signup page for hospitals because the control room will create new hospitals,
- A new section will be added where the hospitals will add details of directly admitted patients
- Another major change done is earlier users were getting information about only total and vacant beds but now we have added 4 types of bed categories in vacant beds ie. O2 Beds, Non-O2 Beds, ICU Beds and Ventilator Beds.
- For updating the bed data there is a Manage Bed button provided in the dashboard.
- Login Page: Here while logging in the admin will have to enter the email and password and there is a dropdown provided where the admin will have to select the User type Option as Hospital then if the entered details are checked and after that admin will be redirected to dashboard.
- Dashboard: After successful login, the admin will be directed to the dashboard here along with the options that are explained earlier instead of update vacant beds now manage bed button will be shown where the admin can update all types of beds.
- Manage Bed Requests: Earlier in the bed requests section the admin was able to approve or reject the bed requests but now the admin will be able to admit the patients whenever they come to the hospital by verifying the unique code that the patient gets in SMS.
- Manage Bed Data: Here the hospital admin can update the bed data of different beds.
- Add Patient: If any patient comes directly to the hospital and gets admitted then the details of that patient should be sent to the control room for that in this page the admin can add the directly admitted patient’s data.
3. Control Room Module
- Login Page: The control room admin will have to enter the required details for login and in the dropdown, the admin will have to select User Type as Control Room then if the details are valid then the admin will be directed to the dashboard.
- Dashboard: After successful login, the admin will be redirected to the dashboard here the admin can do the following :
- Add a new hospital
- Delete an existing hospital
- Edit hospital’s data
- View Bed Requests
- View hospital wise directly admitted patients
- Add new hospital: Here the admin can create a new account of the hospital and here whenever the admin will create a new hospital then it will get updated in the hospital list simultaneously.
- Delete Hospital: Here admin can delete the hospital.
- Edit Hospital: The admin can edit hospitals data like updating bed data.
- Bed requests: The admin can view the bed requests for all the users the admin will allocate hospital to patient by selecting hospital from a list of hospitals and in addition to this admin will also allocate bed type from the list of beds then the admin can approve or reject bed request. As soon as the admin approves the bed request a unique code is generated for each patient which helps to verify the patient at the hospital by matching the unique code with sent in SMS sent to the patient and request that is sent to the allocated hospital.
- View Patients: In this page admin can view hospital-wise directly admitted patients.
Complete Video Explanation of modified apps:
- For Users App: https://github.com/amruta-kashikar/CovidPatients
- For Hospitals App: https://github.com/amruta-kashikar/HospitalsCovid
Updated App links:
- For Users App: https://github.com/amruta-kashikar/Covid
- For Hospital and Control Room’s App: https://github.com/amruta-kashikar/CovidHospitals