Many times it happens that while solving mathematical expressions we require to calculate the square root of a number.
To solve this issue like other programming language PHP provides us with a built-in function sqrt() which can be used to calculate the square root of a number. The sqrt() function in PHP is used to calculate the square root of a number.
We already have discussed about sqrt() function in brief in the article PHP | Math functions. In this article we will learn about the sqrt() function in details.
Parameters: This function accepts a single parameter $value. It is the number whose square root you want to know.
Return Value: It returns a floating-point value which is the square root of the argument $value passed to it.
Input : sqrt(25)
Output : 5
Input : sqrt(-25)
Output : NaN
Input : sqrt(0.09)
Input : sqrt(0)
Output : 0
Below programs illustrate the working of sqrt() in PHP:
- When a positive number is passed as a parameter:
- When a negative number is passed as a parameter:
- When a number with decimal places is passed as a parameter:
- When zero is passed as a parameter:
Important Points To Note:
- sqrt() function is used to calculate the square root of a number.
- It is much more efficient than the generic method of square root calculation.
- Precision depends on the user’s precision directive.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!