There are 2 sorted arrays A and B of size n each. Write an algorithm to find the median of the array obtained merging the above 2 arrays(i.e. array of length 2n). The complexity should be O(log(n)).
Note : Since size of the set for which we are looking for median is even (2n), we need take average of middle two numbers and return floor of the average.
Method 1 (Simply count while Merging)
Use merge procedure of merge sort. Keep track of count while comparing elements of two arrays. If count becomes n(For 2n elements), we have reached the median. Take the average of the elements at indexes n-1 and n in the merged array. See the below implementation.
Median is 16
Method 2 (By comparing the medians of two arrays): This method works by first getting medians of the two sorted arrays and then comparing them.
Please refer complete article on Median of two sorted arrays of same size for more details!
- Program to remove empty array elements in PHP
- Program to Insert new item in array on any position in PHP
- PHP Program for Naive algorithm for Pattern Searching
- PHP Program for Rabin-Karp Algorithm for Pattern Searching
- PHP Program to print all permutations of a given string
- PHP Program for Subset Sum Problem | DP-25
- PHP Program for Largest Sum Contiguous Subarray
- PHP Program for Minimum number of jumps to reach end
- PHP Program for Cutting a Rod | DP-13
- PHP Program for Longest Palindromic Subsequence | DP-12
- PHP Program for Egg Dropping Puzzle | DP-11
- Multidimensional arrays in PHP
- PHP Program to Count set bits in an integer
- PHP Program to Find the Number Occurring Odd Number of Times
- PHP Program to Count number of binary strings without consecutive 1's