The fgetss() function in PHP is an inbuilt function which is used to return a line from an open file after removing HTML and PHP tags from the respective file.
The fegtss() function stops returning at a specified length, on end of file(EOF) or on a new line, whichever comes first.
The file to be read and the number of bytes to be read are sent as parameters to the fgetss() function and it returns a string of length -1 bytes from the file pointed by the user. It returns False on failure.
fgetss(file, length, tags)
The fgetss() function in PHP accepts three parameter.
- file: It specifies the file from which characters have to be extracted.
- length: It specifies the number of bytes to be read by the fgetss() function. The default value is 1024 bytes.
- tags: It is an optional paaremeter which is used to specify tags which should not be striped.
It returns a string of length -1 bytes from the file pointed by the user after removing all the HTML and PHP tags.
Errors And Exception:
- The function is not optimised for large files since it reads a single line at a time and it may take a lot of time to completely read a long file.
- The buffer must be cleared if the fgetss() function is used multiple times.
- The fgetss() function returns Boolean False but many times it happens that it returns a non-Boolean value which evaluates to False.
Below programs illustrate the fgetss() function.
Suppose there is a file named “gfg.txt” which consists of :
This is the first line.
- PHP | SplFileObject fgetss() Function
- How to get the function name inside a function in PHP ?
- PHP 5 vs PHP 7
- PHP | Get PHP configuration information using phpinfo()
- PHP | php.ini File Configuration
- How to import config.php file in a PHP script ?
- PHP | imagecreatetruecolor() Function
- PHP | fpassthru( ) Function
- PHP | ImagickDraw getTextAlignment() Function
- PHP | Ds\Sequence last() Function
- PHP | Imagick floodFillPaintImage() Function
- Function to escape regex patterns before applied in PHP
- PHP | array_udiff_uassoc() Function
- PHP | geoip_continent_code_by_name() Function
- PHP | GmagickPixel setcolor() function
- PHP | opendir() Function
- PHP | cal_to_jd() Function
- PHP | stream_get_transports() Function
- PHP | Ds\Deque pop() Function
- PHP | SimpleXMLElement children() Function
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.