In the previous post, we discussed Finite Automata based pattern searching algorithm. The FA (Finite Automata) construction method discussed in previous post takes O((m^3)*NO_OF_CHARS) time. FA can be constructed in O(m*NO_OF_CHARS) time. In this post, we will discuss the O(m*NO_OF_CHARS) algorithm for FA construction. The idea is similar to lps (longest prefix suffix) array construction discussed in the KMP algorithm. We use previously filled rows to fill a new row.
1) Fill the first row. All entries in first row are always 0 except the entry for pat character. For pat character, we always need to go to state 1.
2) Initialize lps as 0. lps for the first index is always 0.
3) Do following for rows at index i = 1 to M. (M is the length of the pattern)
…..a) Copy the entries from the row at index equal to lps.
…..b) Update the entry for pat[i] character to i+1.
…..c) Update lps “lps = TF[lps][pat[i]]” where TF is the 2D array which is being constructed.
Following is C/C++ implementation for the above algorithm.
pattern found at index 0 pattern found at index 10
Time Complexity for FA construction is O(M*NO_OF_CHARS). The code for search is same as the previous post and time complexity for it is O(n).
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Naive algorithm for Pattern Searching
- KMP Algorithm for Pattern Searching
- Rabin-Karp Algorithm for Pattern Searching
- Optimized Naive Algorithm for Pattern Searching
- Finite Automata algorithm for Pattern Searching
- Boyer Moore Algorithm for Pattern Searching
- Pattern Searching using Suffix Tree
- Pattern Searching using a Trie of all Suffixes
- Ukkonen's Suffix Tree Construction - Part 1
- Ukkonen's Suffix Tree Construction - Part 2
- Ukkonen's Suffix Tree Construction - Part 3
- Ukkonen's Suffix Tree Construction - Part 4
- Ukkonen's Suffix Tree Construction - Part 5
- Ukkonen's Suffix Tree Construction - Part 6
- Suffix Tree Application 2 - Searching All Patterns
- Z algorithm (Linear time pattern searching Algorithm)
- kasai’s Algorithm for Construction of LCP array from Suffix Array
- Aho-Corasick Algorithm for Pattern Searching
- Wildcard Pattern Matching
- Match Expression where a single special character in pattern can match one or more characters