While coding in various competitive sites, many people must have have encountered NZEC error. NZEC (non zero exit code) as the name suggests occurs when your code is failed to return 0. When a code returns 0 it means it is successfully executed otherwise it will return some other number depending on the type of error.
When the program ends and it is supposed to return “0” to indicate if finished fine and not able to do so it cause NZEC. Of course there are more cases associated with NZEC.
Why does NZEC occur?(one example)
In python, generally multiple inputs are separated by commas and we read them using input() or int(input()), but most of the online coding platforms while testing gives input separated by space and in those cases int(input()) is not able to read the input properly and shows error like NZEC.
How to resolve?
For Example, Think of a simple program where you have to read 2 integer and print them(in input file both integer are in same line). Suppose you have two integers as shown below:
Instead of using :
n = int(input()) k = int(input())
n, k = raw_input().split(" ") n = int(n) k = int(k)
to delimit input by white spaces.
When you run the above code in IDE with above input you will get error:-
Traceback (most recent call last): File "b712edd81d4a972de2a9189fac8a83ed.py", line 1, in n = int(input()) File "", line 1 2 3 ^ SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing
The above code will work fine when the input are in 2 two different lines. You can test yourself. To overcome this problem you need to use split.
Some prominent reasons for NZEC error
- Infinite Recursion or if you have run out of stack memory.
- Input and output both are NOT exactly same as the test cases.
- As the online platforms, test your program using a computer code which matches your output with the specified outputs exactly.
- This type of error is also shown when your program is performing basic programming mistakes like dividing by 0.
- Check for the values of your variables, they can be vulnerable to integer flow.
There could be some other reasons also for occurrence NZEC error, i have listed the frequent ones.
This article is contributed by Aakash Tiwari. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Python | Mean Squared Error
- Python | Assertion Error
- Python | 404 Error handling in Flask
- Python | Prompt for Password at Runtime and Termination with Error Message
- ML | Log Loss and Mean Squared Error
- ML | Mathematical explanation of RMSE and R-squared error
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value