Count the number of Binary Tree possible for a given Preorder Sequence length n.
Input : n = 1 Output : 1 Input : n = 2 Output : 2 Input : n = 3 Output : 5
In Preorder traversal, we process the root node first, then traverse the left child node and then right child node.
For example preorder traversal of below tree is 1 2 4 5 3 6 7
Finding number of trees with given Preorder:
Number of Binary Tree possible if such a traversal length (let’s say n) is given.
Let’s take an Example : Given Preorder Sequence –> 2 4 6 8 10 (length 5).
- Assume there is only 1 node (that is 2 in this case), So only 1 Binary tree is Possible
- Now, assume there are 2 nodes (namely 2 and 4), So only 2 Binary Tree are Possible:
- Now, when there are 3 nodes (namely 2, 4 and 6), So Possible Binary tree are 5
- Consider 4 nodes (that are 2, 4, 6 and 8), So Possible Binary Tree are 14.
Let’s say BT(1) denotes number of Binary tree for 1 node. (We assume BT(0)=1)
BT(4) = BT(0) * BT(3) + BT(1) * BT(2) + BT(2) * BT(1) + BT(3) * BT(0)
BT(4) = 1 * 5 + 1 * 2 + 2 * 1 + 5 * 1 = 14
- Similarly, considering all the 5 nodes (2, 4, 6, 8 and 10). Possible number of Binary Tree are:
BT(5) = BT(0) * BT(4) + BT(1) * BT(3) + BT(2) * BT(2) + BT(3) * BT(1) + BT(4) * BT(0)
BT(5) = 1 * 14 + 1 * 5 + 2 * 2 + 5 * 1 + 14 * 1 = 42
NOTE* Since we have already calculated for 1, 2 and 3 nodes. We don’t need to evaluate them again for successive nodes.
Hence, Total binary Tree for Pre-order sequence of length 5 is 42.
We use Dynamic programming to calculate the possible number of Binary Tree. We take one node at a time and calculate the possible Trees using previously calculated Trees.
Total Possible Binary Trees are : 42
This can also be done using Catalan number Cn = (2n)!/(n+1)!*n!
For n = 0, 1, 2, 3, … values of Catalan numbers are 1, 1, 2, 5, 14, 42, 132, 429, 1430, 4862, …. So are numbers of Binary Search Trees.
This article is contributed by Shubham Rana. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Total number of possible Binary Search Trees and Binary Trees with n keys
- Count the Number of Binary Search Trees present in a Binary Tree
- Total number of possible Binary Search Trees using Catalan Number
- Construct Full Binary Tree using its Preorder traversal and Preorder traversal of its mirror tree
- Number of full binary trees such that each node is product of its children
- Check if a binary tree is subtree of another binary tree using preorder traversal : Iterative
- Count number of binary strings of length N having only 0's and 1's
- Number of binary strings such that there is no substring of length ≥ 3
- Preorder predecessor of a Node in Binary Tree
- Preorder Successor of a Node in Binary Tree
- Modify a binary tree to get preorder traversal using right pointers only
- Find n-th node in Preorder traversal of a Binary Tree
- Calculate depth of a full Binary tree from Preorder
- Count number of binary strings such that there is no substring of length greater than or equal to 3 with all 1's
- Leaf nodes from Preorder of a Binary Search Tree (Using Recursion)
- Construct Full Binary Tree from given preorder and postorder traversals
- Check if a given array can represent Preorder Traversal of Binary Search Tree
- Construct a Maximum Binary Tree from two given Binary Trees
- Foldable Binary Trees
- Enumeration of Binary Trees