Given a target position on infinite number line, (-infinity to +infinity). Starting form 0 you have to reach the target by moving as described : In ith move you can take i steps forward or backward. Find the minimum number of moves required to reach the target.
Input : target = 3 Output : 2 Explanation: On the first move we step from 0 to 1. On the second step we step from 1 to 3. Input: target = 2 Output: 3 Explanation: On the first move we step from 0 to 1. On the second move we step from 1 to -1. On the third move we step from -1 to 2.
Idea is similar to discussed in O(n) approach here.
Keep adding sum = 1 + 2 + .. + n >= target. Solving this quadratic equation gives the smallest n such that sum >= target, i.e solving for n in n(n+1) / 2 – target >= 0 gives smallest n.
If sum == target, answer is n. Now next case where sum is greater than target. Find the difference by how much steps index is ahead of target, i.e sum – target.
Case 1 : Difference is even then answer is n, (because there will always a move flipping which will lead to target).
Case 2 : Difference is odd, then take one more step, i.e add n+1 to sum and now again take the difference. If difference is even the n+1 is the answer else take one more move and this will certainly make the difference even then answer will be n + 2.
Explanation : Since difference is odd. Target is either odd or even.
case 1 : n is even (1 + 2 + 3 + … + n), then adding n + 1 makes the difference even.
case 2 : n is odd then adding n + 1 doesn’t makes difference even so take one more move, i.e., n+2.
- Find minimum moves to reach target on an infinite line
- Minimum number of moves to reach N starting from (1, 1)
- Minimum number of moves required to reach the destination by the king in a chess board
- Minimum time to reach a point with +t and -t moves at time t
- Total position where king can reach on a chessboard in exactly M moves
- Total position where king can reach on a chessboard in exactly M moves | Set 2
- Minimum steps needed to cover a sequence of points on an infinite grid
- Minimum number of given moves required to make N divisible by 25
- Find the number of jumps to reach X in the number line from zero
- Minimum step to reach one
- Minimum steps to reach a destination
- Minimum number of jumps to reach end
- Find the minimum number of steps to reach M from N
- Minimum cost to reach a point N from 0 with two different operations allowed
- Equation of straight line passing through a given point which bisects it into two equal line segments
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.