What is message passing and why it is used?
Message Passing in terms of computers is communication between processes. It is a form of communication used in object-oriented programming as well as parallel programming. Message passing in Java is like sending an object i.e. message from one thread to another thread. It is used when threads do not have shared memory and are unable to share monitors or semaphores or any other shared variables to communicate. Suppose we consider an example of producer and consumer, likewise what producer will produce, the consumer will be able to consume that only. We mostly use Queue to implement communication between threads.
In the example explained below, we will be using vector(queue) to store the messages, 7 at a time and after that producer will wait for the consumer until the queue is empty.
In Producer there are two synchronized methods putMessage() which will call form run() method of Producer and add message in Vector whereas getMessage() extracts the message from the queue for the consumer.
Using message passing simplifies the producer-consumer problem as they don’t have to reference each other directly but only communicate via a queue.
Got message: Thu May 09 06:57:53 UTC 2019 Got message: Thu May 09 06:57:54 UTC 2019 Got message: Thu May 09 06:57:55 UTC 2019 Got message: Thu May 09 06:57:56 UTC 2019 Got message: Thu May 09 06:57:57 UTC 2019 Got message: Thu May 09 06:57:58 UTC 2019 Got message: Thu May 09 06:57:59 UTC 2019 Got message: Thu May 09 06:58:00 UTC 2019
- Differences between Dynamic Binding and Message Passing in Java
- Message Dialogs in Java (GUI)
- Java Swing | Creating a Toast Message
- Java Swing | Creating Custom Message Dialogs
- Passing and Returning Objects in Java
- Parameter Passing Techniques in Java with Examples
- How to pop an alert message box using PHP ?
- IPC using Message Queues
- Difference between Pipes and Message Queues
- Form required attribute with a custom validation message in HTML5
- Passing Reference to a Pointer in C++
- How to Display Validation Message for Radio Buttons with Inline Images using Bootstrap 4 ?
- getParameter() - Passing data from client to JSP
- Perl | Passing Complex Parameters to a Subroutine
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : SiddharthPandey4