We are provided with a number N. Find the biggest proper fraction a/b such that a + b = N. Following are constraints for fraction.
- a/b is a proper fraction if a<b and a and b are coprimes i.e no common factor of a and b.
- There can be multiple proper fractions with sum of numerator and denominator equal to a given number. The main task is to find the fraction having the maximum floating point value.
Input : N = 3 Output : 1 2 Input : N = 12 Output : 5 7 Explanation: In the second example N = 12 Possible a and b's are: 1 11 5 7 But clearly 5/7 (=0.71..) is greater than 1/11 (=0.09..). Hence answer for N = 12 is 5 7.
The solution to this problem is more intuitive than algorithmic.
Consider the following points carefully to understand the formula presented later:
- A fraction has maximum value if numerator is as big as possible and the denominator is as small as possible.
- Here the constraints are the facts that numerator can’t be bigger than denominator and their sum should add up to N.
Keeping these two points in mind, we can get to the fact that answer to this problem will be ceil(n/2)-1 and floor(n/2)+1.
Now this solution will always work for odd N and all those even N whose (N/2) is even. This is due to the fact that these two cases will always generate coprimes with the above formula.
Now consider the following example:
N = 10
ceil(10/2)-1 = 4
floor(10/2)+1 = 6
Clearly 4 and 6 are the wrong answers as they are not coprimes. The correct answer is 3 and 7.
Hence for even N with odd (N/2) the formula becomes ceil(n/2)-2 and floor(n/2)+2.
This article is contributed by Vineet Joshi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find ΔX which is added to numerator and denominator both of fraction (a/b) to convert it to another fraction (c/d)
- Largest number less than or equal to N/2 which is coprime to N
- Sum of largest prime factor of each number less than equal to n
- Largest number smaller than or equal to N divisible by K
- Find Largest Special Prime which is less than or equal to a given number
- Largest number smaller than or equal to n and digits in non-decreasing order
- Sum of all proper divisors of a natural number
- Maximum rational number (or fraction) from an array
- Convert decimal fraction to binary number
- Expressing a fraction as a natural number under modulo 'm'
- Least Common Denominator (LCD)
- Sum of all proper divisors of natural numbers in an array
- Number of times the largest perfect square number can be subtracted from N
- Find the largest good number in the divisors of given number N