Java.util.concurrent.RecursiveAction class in Java with Examples
RecursiveAction is an abstract class encapsulates a task that does not return a result. It is a subclass of ForkJoinTask, which is an abstract class representing a task that can be executed on a separate core in a multicore system. The RecursiveAction class is extended to create a task that has a void return type. The code that represents the computational portion of the task is kept within the compute() method of RecursiveAction.
RecursiveAction is used for tasks that can be divided and executed parallelly. These tasks should not return any value. For example, sorting a large array can be easily implemented with RecursiveAction, with the array being divided into small manageable chunks and each part being sorted on a separate core.
java.lang.Object ↳ java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask<Void> ↳ java.util.concurrent.RecursiveAction
Constructor of RecursiveAction:
- RecursiveAction: Creates an object of RecursiveAction with default settings.
- compute()– It is the method that does the computation performed by the task.
protected abstract void compute()
- exec()– This method implements the basic rules necessary for the execution of a task for RecursiveAction.
protected final boolean exec()
- getRawResult()– The function returns the task completion status. It always returns null.
public final Void getRawResult()
- setRawResult()– The function sets the task completion status, to the value passed in the argument.
protected final void setRawResult(Void mustBeNull)
Example: To demonstrate RecursiveAction class
A portion of the original sequence 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0 7.0 8.0 A portion of the transformed sequence (to four decimal places): 0.0000 1.0000 1.4142 1.7321 2.0000 2.2361 2.4495 2.6458 2.8284
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.