In this searching method, first of all, an index file is created, that contains some specific group or division of required record when the index is obtained, then the partial indexing takes less time cause it is located in a specified group.
Note: When the user makes a request for specific records it will find that index group first where that specific record is recorded.
Characteristics of Indexed Sequential Search:
- In Indexed Sequential Search a sorted index is set aside in addition to the array.
- Each element in the index points to a block of elements in the array or another expanded index.
- The index is searched 1st then the array and guides the search in the array.
Note: Indexed Sequential Search actually does the indexing multiple time, like creating the index of an index.
Explanation by diagram “Indexed Sequential Search”:
Found at index 2
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How to check an array is associative or sequential in PHP?
- RTL (Register Transfer Level) design vs Sequential logic design
- Difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous Sequential Circuits
- Sequential Functionality in Node
- Interpolation search vs Binary search
- Why is Binary Search preferred over Ternary Search?
- Sublist Search (Search a linked list in another list)
- Linear Search vs Binary Search
- Repeatedly search an element by doubling it after every successful search
- Meta Binary Search | One-Sided Binary Search
- Best First Search (Informed Search)
- Binary Indexed Tree : Range Update and Range Queries
- Program to print product of even and odd indexed elements in an Array
- Absolute Difference of even and odd indexed elements in an Array
- Rearrange an Array such that Sum of same-indexed subsets differ from their Sum in the original Array
- Remove odd indexed characters from a given string
- Minimize replacements or swapping of same indexed characters required to make two given strings palindromic
- Rearrange array such that sum of same indexed elements is atmost K
- Search an element in a sorted and rotated array
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.