itoa function converts integer into null-terminated string. It can convert negative numbers too. The standard definition of itoa function is give below:-
The third parameter base specify the conversion base. For example:- if base is 2, then it will convert the integer into its binary compatible string or if base is 16, then it will create hexadecimal converted string form of integer number.
If base is 10 and value is negative, the resulting string is preceded with a minus sign (-). With any other base, value is always considered unsigned.
itoa(1567, str, 10) should return string "1567" itoa(-1567, str, 10) should return string "-1567" itoa(1567, str, 2) should return string "11000011111" itoa(1567, str, 16) should return string "61f"
Individual digits of the given number must be processed and their corresponding characters must be put in the given string. Using repeated division by the given base, we get individual digits from least significant to most significant digit. But in the output, these digits are needed in reverse order. Therefore, we reverse the string obtained after repeated division and return it.
Base:10 1567 Base:10 -1567 Base:2 11000011111 Base:8 3037 Base:16 61f
This article is contributed by Neha Mahajan. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- How to implement Min Heap using STL?
- Implement Your Own sizeof
- Using class to implement Vector Quantities in C++
- How to implement user defined Shared Pointers in C++
- Implement your own tail (Read last n lines of a huge file)
- C++ Program to print an Array using Recursion
- Storage Classes in C++ with Examples
- fill_n() function in C++ STL with examples
- fill() function in C++ STL with examples
- How to erase an element from a vector using erase() and reverse_iterator?
- iomanip setbase() function in C++ with Examples
- iomanip setpricision() function in C++ with Examples
- iomanip setiosflags() function in C++ with Examples
- iomanip setfill() function in C++ with Examples