itoa function converts integer into null-terminated string. It can convert negative numbers too. The standard definition of itoa function is give below:-
The third parameter base specify the conversion base. For example:- if base is 2, then it will convert the integer into its binary compatible string or if base is 16, then it will create hexadecimal converted string form of integer number.
If base is 10 and value is negative, the resulting string is preceded with a minus sign (-). With any other base, value is always considered unsigned.
itoa(1567, str, 10) should return string "1567" itoa(-1567, str, 10) should return string "-1567" itoa(1567, str, 2) should return string "11000011111" itoa(1567, str, 16) should return string "61f"
Individual digits of the given number must be processed and their corresponding characters must be put in the given string. Using repeated division by the given base, we get individual digits from least significant to most significant digit. But in the output, these digits are needed in reverse order. Therefore, we reverse the string obtained after repeated division and return it.
Base:10 1567 Base:10 -1567 Base:2 11000011111 Base:8 3037 Base:16 61f
This article is contributed by Neha Mahajan. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- How to implement Min Heap using STL?
- Implement Your Own sizeof
- Using class to implement Vector Quantities in C++
- Implement your own tail (Read last n lines of a huge file)
- Dividing a Large file into Separate Modules in C/C++, Java and Python
- How to delete a range of values from the List using Iterator
- How to create a List with Constructor in C++ STL
- C program to store Student records as Structures and Sort them by Name
- How to delete last element from a List in C++ STL
- Can C++ reference member be declared without being initialized with declaration?
- Finding Floor and Ceil of a Sorted Array using C++ STL
- Some useful C++ tricks for beginners in Competitive Programming
- Replace each node with its Surpasser Count in Linked List
- Comparison of Java with other programming languages