In Python, to create iterators, we can use both regular functions and generators. Generators are written just like a normal function but we use
yield() instead of
return() for returning a result. It is more powerful as a tool to implement iterators. It is easy and more convenient to implement because it offers the evaluation of elements on demand. Unlike regular functions which on encountering a return statement terminates entirely, generators use yield statement in which the state of the function is saved from the last call and can be picked up or resumed the next time we call a generator function. Another great advantage of the generator over a list is that it takes much less memory.
In addition to that, two more functions
_iter_() make the generator function more compact and reliable. Example :
First result is 1 Second result is 2 Third result is 3
Difference between Generator function and Normal function –
- Once the function yields, the function is paused and the control is transferred to the caller.
- When the function terminates, StopIteration is raised automatically on further calls.
- Local variables and their states are remembered between successive calls.
- Generator function contains one or more yield statement instead of return statement.
- As the methods like
_iter_()are implemented automatically, we can iterate through the items using
There are various other expressions that can be simply coded similar to list comprehensions but instead of brackets we use parenthesis. These expressions are designed for situations where the generator is used right away by an enclosing function. Generator expression allows creating a generator without a yield keyword. However, it doesn’t share the whole power of generator created with a yield function. Example :
0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81
We can also generate a list using generator expressions :
['k', 'e', 'e', 'g']
This article is contributed by Chinmoy Lenka. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Python List Comprehensions vs Generator Expressions
- SpongeBob Mocking Text Generator - Python
- Automated Certificate generator using Opencv in Python
- Python | Random Password Generator using Tkinter
- Python - SpongeBob Mocking Text Generator GUI using Tkinter
- Automate getter-setter generator for Java using Python
- Overuse of lambda expressions in Python
- Python | Set 2 (Variables, Expressions, Conditions and Functions)
- Plot Mathematical Expressions in Python using Matplotlib
- Extracting email addresses using regular expressions in Python
- Regular Expressions in Python | Set 2 (Search, Match and Find All)
- Python | Generate Personalized Data from given list of expressions
- Building QR Code Generator Application using PyQt5
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python