The module re provides support for regular expressions in Python. Below are main methods in this module.
re.search() : This method either returns None (if the pattern doesn’t match), or a re.MatchObject that contains information about the matching part of the string. This method stops after the first match, so this is best suited for testing a regular expression more than extracting data.
Match at index 14, 21 Full match: June 24 Month: June Day: 24
re.match() : This function attempts to match pattern to whole string. The re.match function returns a match object on success, None on failure.
re.match(pattern, string, flags=0) pattern : Regular expression to be matched. string : String where p attern is searched flags : We can specify different flags using bitwise OR (|).
re.findall() : Return all non-overlapping matches of pattern in string, as a list of strings. The string is scanned left-to-right, and matches are returned in the order found (Source : Python Docs).
Regular expression is a vast topic. It’s a complete library. Regular expressions can do a lot of stuff. You can Match, Search, Replace, Extract a lot of data. For example, below small code is so powerful that it can extract email address from a text. So we can make our own Web Crawlers and scrappers in python with easy.Look at below regex.
# extract all email addresses and add them into the resulting set new_emails = set(re.findall(r"[a-z0-9\.\-+_]+@[a-z0-9\.\-+_]+\.[a-z]+", text, re.I))
We will soon be discussing more methods on regular expressions.
This article is contributed by Shwetanshu Rohatgi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Pattern matching in Python with Regex
- Python Docstrings
- Regular Expression in Python with Examples | Set 1
- OS Module in Python with Examples
- copy in Python (Deep Copy and Shallow Copy)
- List Methods in Python | Set 1 (in, not in, len(), min(), max()...)
- Python String Methods | Set 1 (find, rfind, startwith, endwith, islower, isupper, lower, upper, swapcase & title)
- Transpose a matrix in Single line in Python
- Tuples in Python
- String Template Class in Python
- String Formatting in Python using %
- Python List Comprehension and Slicing
- How to split a string in C/C++, Python and Java?
- Interesting facts about strings in Python | Set 1
- Python | Set 2 (Variables, Expressions, Conditions and Functions)