We have made very huge improvements in wireless communication and have expanded the capabilities of our wireless communication system. We all have seen various generations in our life. Let’s discuss them one by one.
1G (1st Generation) :
- First time calling was introduced in mobile systems.
- It used analog signals.
- It used FDD scheme and typically allocated bandwidth of 25 Mhz.
- Coverage area was small.
- No roaming support between various operators.
- Low sound quality.
- Speed :- 24 kbps.
2G (2nd Generation) :
- Shifted from analog to digital.
- It supported voice and SMS both.
- Supported all 4 sectors of wireless industry namely Digital cellular, Mobile Data, PCS, WLAN,
- Moderate mobile data service.
- 2G WLAN provided high data rate & large area coverage.
- Speed :- 64 kbps.
2.5G came after 2G which used the concept of GPRS. Streaming was also introduced and mail services too.
Then came 2.75G or EDGE which was faster in providing services then 2.5G. It gave faster internet speed upto 128kbps and also used edge connection.
3G (3rd Generation) :
- Internet system was improved.
- Better system and capacity.
- Offers high speed wireless internet.
- Connection used was UMTS and WCMA.
- Speed :- 2mbps.
4G (4th Generation) :
- IP based protocols.
- LTE (Long term evaluation) was mainly for internet.
- Vo-LTE (Voice over LTE) is for both voice and internet.
- Freedom and flexibility to select any desired service with reasonable QOS.
- High usability.
- Supports multimedia service at low transmission cost.
- HD quality Streaming.
- Speed :-100mbps.
5G (5th Generation) :
It is yet to come in many countries but here are some notable points about 5G .
- Higher data rates rates.
- Connectivity will be more fast and secure,
- Data Latency will be reduced to a great level.
- Massive network capacity.
- It is 30 times faster than 4G.
- There would be more flexibility in the network.