Interconnection of systems, people or things with the help of a communication media can be referred as network. The type of communication in which use electromagnetic waves as communication media for transmitting and receiving data or voice is called wireless communication. The electromagnetic spectrum is divided into well-defined channel for data transmission.
- Freedom from wires :
Can be configured with the use of any physical connection.
- Easy to setup :
Wireless network is easy to expand and setup
- Better or global coverage :
It provides global reach by providing networking in places such as rural areas, battlefield, etc… where wiring is not feasible.
- Flexibility :
Wireless network is more flexible and adaptable compared to wired network.
- Cost-effectiveness :
Since it is easy to install and doesn’t require cables, wireless network is relatively cheaper.
- Mobile and portable :
Wireless network is easy to carry and re-install in another place.
- As communication is done through open space, it is less secure.
- More open to interference.
- Increased chance of jamming.
- Transmission speed is comparably less.
Applications of Wireless Communication :
- Satellite system
- Television remote control
- Paging system
- Security systems
- Computer interface devices
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Advantages and disadvantages of Remote Communication Technology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Satellite Communication
- Differences between Wireless Adhoc Network and Wireless Sensor Network
- Difference between Satellite Communication and Optical Communication
- Difference between Analog Communication and Digital Communication
- Traditional wireless mobile communication
- Wireless Communication | Set 1
- Wireless Communication | Set 3
- Wireless Communication | Set 2
- Generations of wireless communication
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Subnetting
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer Networking
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of ring topology
- Advantages and disadvantages of Ethernet
- Advantages and Disadvantages of WLAN
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Hybrid Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Bus Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Star Topology
- Types of Wireless and Mobile Device Attacks
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.