Please go through the above article before proceeding.
Given a payoff matrix. The task is to find the optimum strategies of the players.
Player A is having 3 strategies – 1, 2 and 3, and player B is also having 3 strategies – 1, 2 and 3.
Step 1: Find row minimum values for each row and column maximum value for each column.
20, 45 and 40 are the minimum values in the first, second and third row respectively. 58, 45 and 55 are the maximum values in first, second and third column respectively.
Step 2: Find maximum of the row minimum (Row Min) values and minimum of the column maximum (Column Max) values.
The maximum of Row Min value is called maximin value and the minimum of Column Max value is called minimax.
Here the maximin value is equal to the minimax value, so this game has a saddle point at the cell corresponding to Row 2 and Column 2 (see the figure below).
Therefore, the value of the game (V) is 45. Optimal probabilities of both the players for each strategy,
A [P1, P2, P3] = A [0, 1, 0]
B [Q1, Q2, Q3] = B [0, 1, 0]
P1, P2 and P3 are probabilities of strategy 1, 2 and 3 respectively for player A.
Q1, Q2 and Q3 are probabilities of strategy 1, 2 and 3 respectively for player B
For both the players the total probability is 1.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 4 (Dominance Property-Pure Strategy)
- Game Theory (Normal-form game) | Set 3 (Game with Mixed Strategy)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 5 (Dominance Property-Mixed Strategy)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 6 (Graphical Method [2 X N] Game)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 7 (Graphical Method [M X 2] Game)
- Combinatorial Game Theory | Set 2 (Game of Nim)
- Optimal Strategy for a Game | DP-31
- Optimal strategy for a Game with modifications
- Combinatorial Game Theory | Set 4 (Sprague - Grundy Theorem)
- Two Balls Reachability Game
- Minimum Players required to win the game
- Find the player who will win the Coin game
- Minimum possible final health of the last monster in a game
- Number Guessing Game in Python using Binary Search
- Largest odd divisor Game to check which player wins
- Find the winner of the game based on greater number of divisors
- Predict the winner of the game on the basis of absolute difference of sum by selecting numbers
- Find the Nth Pure number
- Find normal at a given point on the curve
- Program to find Normal and Trace of a matrix
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.