In C++, assignment operator should be overloaded with self assignment check.
For example, consider the following class Array and overloaded assignment operator function without self assignment check.
If we have an object say a1 of type Array and if we have a line like a1 = a1 somewhere, the program results in unpredictable behavior because there is no self assignment check in the above code. To avoid the above issue, self assignment check must be there while overloading assignment operator. For example, following code does self assignment check.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Operands for sizeof operator
- Copy constructor vs assignment operator in C++
- Rules for operator overloading
- Result of comma operator as l-value in C and C++
- Comma operator should be used carefully
- C/C++ Ternary Operator - Some Interesting Observations
- Is assignment operator inherited?
- When should we write our own assignment operator in C++?
- Default Assignment Operator and References
- Can we use % operator on floating point numbers?
- How to check whether a number is in the range[low, high] using one comparison ?
- Scope Resolution Operator Versus this pointer in C++?
- NaN in C++ - What is it and how to check for it?
- Set a variable without using Arithmetic, Relational or Conditional Operator
- Placement new operator in C++