Consider a RAM organized in blocks. There are multiple processes running on the system. Every application gets below information.
(Thread T, Memory Block M, time t, R/W) which essentially tells that the thread T was using memory block M at time t and operation could be read or write.
Memory conflict is defined as –
– Multiple read operations at the same location are not cause of conflict.
– One write operation between x+5 to x-5 to location M, will be cause of conflict for a thread accessing location M at time x where x is some time in standard unit of time measurement.
– Example – If thread T1 accessed memory location M at time x+1 and if a thread T2 accesses location M before time x+6, then T1 and T2 are candidate of conflict given one of them does write operation.
You are given with the list of threads accessing memory locations, you have to find all conflicts.
Input: (1, 512, 1, R) (2, 432, 2, W) (3, 512, 3, R) (4, 932, 4, R) (5, 512, 5, W) (6, 932, 6, R) (7, 835, 7, R) (8, 432, 8, R) Output: Thread 1 & 3 conflict with thread 5 All other operations are safe.
We strongly recommend you to minimize your browser and try this yourself first.
The idea is to sort all threads by memory block and if memory block is same, then by time. Once we have all threads sorted, we can traverse all threads one by one. For every thread being traversed, we simply need to check previous adjacent threads of same block as threads are sorted by time.
Below is C++ implementation of this idea.
threads 3 and 5 conflict. threads 1 and 5 conflict. All other operations are same
Time complexity: The above solution uses sorting to sort threads. Sorting can be done in O(nLogn) time. Then it prints all conflicts. Printing all conflicts takes O(n + m) time where m is number of conflicts. So overall time complexity is O(nLogn + m).
This article is contributed by Gaurav Ahirwar. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find the Minimum length Unsorted Subarray, sorting which makes the complete array sorted
- Which sorting algorithm makes minimum number of memory writes?
- Find whether an array is subset of another array | Added Method 3
- Find a triplet that sum to a given value
- Find a pair with the given difference
- Find four elements that sum to a given value | Set 2 ( O(n^2Logn) Solution)
- Given a number, find the next smallest palindrome
- Find number of pairs (x, y) in an array such that x^y > y^x
- Given a sorted dictionary of an alien language, find order of characters
- Find the point where maximum intervals overlap
- Find a pair with maximum product in array of Integers
- Find minimum difference between any two elements
- Find Surpasser Count of each element in array
- Find a permutation that causes worst case of Merge Sort
- Find missing elements of a range