1. Routable Protocol :
A Routable protocol is a network protocol which carry data from one network and it go through the router to succeed in another network and be delivered to a computer in that remote network.
2. Non-Routable Protocol :
A non-routable protocol’s data cannot be passed through a router. This is mainly due to lack of capability of this protocol.
Differences between Routable and Non-Routable Protocol :
|S.No.||Routable Protocol||Non-Routable protocol|
|1.||The protocols that allow the forwarding of data from one network to another network are called as routable protocols.||The protocols that doesn’t allow the forwarding of data from one network to another network are called as non-routable protocols.|
|2.||The data packets from one network to another network are transferred using routers.||Non-Routable protocols cannot be used to route the data over the network using router.|
|3.||It contains a network address as well as a device address.||It contains only a device address and not a network address.|
|4.||It is used to build large networks.||It is designed to work on small and local networks.|
|5.||A routable protocol’s data can be passed through a router.||A non-routable protocol’s data cannot be passed through a router.|
|6||Routable protocols work with a router.||Non-Routable protocols are designed to work on small and cannot be used with a router.|
|7||They are complex.||They are less complex than routable protocols.|
|8||All the routable protocols can be limited to the different network.||All the Non routable protocols are limited to the same network.|
|9||Examples is Internet Protocol (IP). Internet Protocol has two versions IPv4 and IPv6.||Internet Protocol (IP). Internet Protocol has two versions IPv4 and IPv6.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Non-Routable Address Space
- Difference between AMQP and HTTP protocols
- Difference between COAP and MQTT protocols
- Difference between MQTT and HTTP protocols
- Types of Virtual Private Network (VPN) and its Protocols
- Trust Based Energy-Efficient and Secure Routing Protocols for IoT
- Critique of OSI Model and Protocols
- Network Protocols and Communications
- 14 Most Common Network Protocols And Their Vulnerabilities
- Protocols in Application Layer
- Routing v/s Routed Protocols in Computer Network
- Sliding Window protocols Summary With Questions
- Controlled Access Protocols in Computer Network
- Multiple Access Protocols in Computer Network
- Classes of Routing Protocols
- Securing Routing Protocols
- Collision-Free Protocols in Computer Network
- MANET Routing Protocols
- Network Protocols
- Video Conferencing Protocols
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.