What is a stack, if you are familiar with full-stack development you might have come across the terms MEAN, MERN, MEVN, etc. These are web stacks consisting of a collection of software and frameworks used for building a web application from the front-end and back-end. You can learn any of these stacks to become a Full-stack developer.
A stack usually consists of a database, server-side and client-side technology, and a web server.
MERN STACK: MERN stack is a collection of MongoDB, Express, React Library, and NodeJs. MERN is basically a collection of software that you require to create a dynamic website and web applications.
- M – MongoDB: It is a Document-based No SQL Database. It stores data in JSON-like documents.
- E – ExpressJS: It is a Server-side framework and runs on a NodeJS server.
Working Of MERN stack:
- ReactJS for front-end: On the top comes to React which is a JS Library used to create dynamic client-side apps. We can connect these front-end interfaces with back-end data.
- MongoDB as a database: All complex or simple web applications that want to store data need a database here we use Mongo Db which is a No SQL database that stores data in JSON-like documents as we mentioned above.
PERN STACK: This stack consists of PostgreSQL, Express, React, and Node. Helps in building a full-stack web application. This stack involves PostgreSQL as a database instead of mongo to store and manage data. This is a great choice if you want a stable database which is great for complex duties.
- P – PostgreSQL: It is an ORDBMS (Object Relational Database Management System). A SQL-based database management system.
- E – Express: It is a Server-side framework based on Node JS to ease out the tasks on the server-side.
Working Of PERN stack:
- Node and ExpressJS on server-side: Node and Express are used on the server-side for the purposes mentioned above.
- PostgreSQL for the database: While to store data in a database instead of No SQL database MongoDB here we use an SQL database PostgreSQL. It stores data in Tabular format in rows and columns like other SQL databases(Ex- MySQL). It has strict rules for data integrity and better for heavy transactions than No SQL databases.
Differences between PERN and MERN: MERN PERN
In MERN we use a No SQL-based Database(MongoDB). In PERN we use an SQL based Database(PostgreSQL) While Mongo is used when a developer wants a faster, distributed database they choose Mongo. PERN is used when a developer wants to be more ACID compliant. Postgre as a SQL database is suited for complex queries As NoSQL, it isn’t suited for complex queries Not for hierarchical data storage Best for hierarchical data storage