.NET Framework is used to develop Form-based applications, Web-based applications, and Web services. It is used to develop both desktops as well as server-based applications. There is a variety of programming languages available on the .Net platform, VB.Net, and C# being the most common ones. It is used to build applications for Windows, phone, web, etc. It provides a lot of functionalities and also supports industry standards.
ASP.NET is a web application framework designed and developed by Microsoft. ASP.NET is an open-source and a subset of the .NET Framework and successor of the classic ASP(Active Server Pages). With version 1.0 of the .NET Framework, it was first released in January 2002. So a question comes to mind that which technology we were using before the year 2002 for developing web applications and services? The answer is Classic ASP. So before .NET and ASP.NET, there was Classic ASP.
Difference Between .NET and ASP.NET Framework
|1.||.NET is a software development framework aimed to develop Windows, Web and Server based applications.||ASP.NET is a main tool that present in the .NET Framework and aimed at simplifying the creation of dynamic webpages.|
|2.||Server side and client side application development can be done using .NET framework.||You can only develop server side web applications using ASP.NET as it is integrated with .NET framework.||3.||Mainly used to make business applications on the Windows platform.||It is used to make dynamic web pages and websites using .NET languages.||4.||Its programming can be done using any language with CIL (Common Intermediate Language) compiler.||Its programming can be done using any .NET compliant language.|
- Differences Between .NET Core and .NET Framework
- Basic CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) in ASP.NET MVC Using C# and Entity Framework
- Lock framework vs Thread synchronization in Java
- Difference between Managed and Unmanaged code in .NET
- Difference Between Node.js and Asp.net
- Difference between ADO and ADO.NET
- Difference between .net and .org domain
- Difference between .com and .net domain
- Difference between .com, .net and .org domains
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- How to Install and Setup Visual Studio for ASP.NET?
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.