Prerequisite – Process Scheduler
Long-Term Scheduler is also known as Job Scheduler. long-term scheduler regulates the programs which are selected to system for processing. In this the programs are setup in the queue and as per the requirement the best one job is selected and it takes the processes from job pool. It regulates the Degree of Multi-programming (DOM).
Short-Term Scheduler is also known as CPU Scheduler. Short-Term Scheduler ensures which program is suitable or important for processing. It regulates the less DOM (Degree of Multi-programming).
Difference Between Long-Term and Short-Term Scheduler:
|S.NO||Long-Term Scheduler||Short-Term Scheduler|
|1.||Long-Term Scheduler takes the process from job pool.||Short-Term Scheduler takes the process from ready queue.|
|2.||Long-Term Scheduler is also known as Job Scheduler.||Short-Term Scheduler is also known as CPU Scheduler.|
|3.||In Long-Term Scheduler, the programs are setup in the queue and as per the requirement the best one job is selected.||In Short-Term Scheduler no such queue is exist.|
|4.||It regulates the more DOM (Degree of Multi-programming).||It regulates the less DOM (Degree of Multi-programming).|
|5.||It regulates the programs which are selected to system for processing.||It ensures which program is suitable or important for processing.|
- Difference between dispatcher and scheduler
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between CPU and GPU
- Difference Between BFS and DFS
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between 1G and 2G
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between OOP and POP
- Difference between RAM and ROM
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between C and C++
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.