1. .com domain :
The internet has made use of .com domains very popular. It is so popular that it can also be seen on the latest keyboard keys. The .com is a Top Level Domain. It is one of the first generic domains (as opposed to sponsored and restricted domains). It was basically introduced for use by the commercial entities, however, due to the non-restricted nature of the domain, it can be used by individuals and non-commercial entities. The prices of the .com domain names are pretty high due to their popularity.
eg. www.google.com, www.bbn.com, www.think.com, www.mcc.com, www.dec.com, www.northrop.com, www.xerox.com.
Google has a .com domain
2. .net domain :
.net is also a type of generic top level domain. It was among the first domains introduced in 1985 (along with .com and .org). This type of domain was intended to be used by networking companies, database providers, hosting entities or internet service providers or similar such entities. It is now being used by all types of entities and individuals, due to its non-restricted nature. The .net domain is priced lower than .com domains due to it being less popular. Nowadays, in many cases, the .net domain names are used as an alternative to non-availability of the .com domain names.
eg. www.behance.net, www.broken.net, www.nsf.net, www.nyser.net, www.uu.net, www.sesqui.net, www.mr.net, www.oar.net.
Nordu.net is the first domain name registered under.net
Difference between .com and .net domain :
|1.||Is used for general purpose and commercial sites (by for-profit entities).||It is used by networking-based companies or entities such as Internet Service providers and similar infrastructures, by miscellaneous organizations or when the preferred name in .com domain is exhausted.|
|2.||.com is more popular than .net.||It is less popular than .com.|
|3.||The registration is handled by Verisign. The domains can be handled by other registrars (e.g. Google, Go Daddy), however, they ultimately have partnerships or affiliations with Verisign.||.net registrations are also handled by Verisign.|
|4.||It is costlier than .net (due to the popularity of .com domains).||It is cheaper than .com (due to .net being less popular).|
|5.||It is a top level domain (TLD). It is one of the first domains ever created. It is also a generic domain. Generic means it can be used for general purpose.||It is a generic top level domain (gTLD). It is one of the first domains ever created for generic use.|
|6.||It was intended to be used by commercial entities.||It was introduced to be used by networking organizations.|
|7.||It has been derived from the word commercial. It was intended for commercial entities.||It has been derived from the word networking. It was intended for networking entities such as ISPs (Internet Service Providers).|
|8.||The registry website is www.verisign.com.||The registry website is www.verisign.com, that is similar to .com registry site because both are handled by the same unity, Verisign.|
|9.||The first site ever registered under .com domain is www.symbolics.com.||The first site ever registered under .net domain is www.nordu.net.||10.||Examples : www.google.com, www.bbn.com, www.think.com, www.mcc.com, www.dec.com, www.northrop.com, www.xerox.com.||Examples : www.behance.net, www. broken.net, www. nsf.net, www. nyser.net, www. uu.net, www.sesqui.net, www. mr.net, www.oar.net.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Collision Domain and Broadcast Domain in Computer Network
- Difference between .net and .org domain
- Difference between Tuple Relational Calculus (TRC) and Domain Relational Calculus (DRC)
- Difference between Domain and Workgroup
- Difference between .com and .org domain
- Difference Between Trademark and Domain Name
- Difference Between .NET and ASP.NET Framework
- Differences Between .NET Core and .NET Framework
- Domain Name System (DNS) in Application Layer
- Address Resolution in DNS (Domain Name Server)
- Introduction of Active Directory Domain Services
- Creating custom domain name instead of localhost in Ubuntu
- Classless Inter Domain Routing (CIDR)
- Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS) in Application Layer
- Domain Name System (DNS) Zones
- Working of Domain Name System (DNS) Server
- Difference between Managed and Unmanaged code in .NET
- Difference between ADO and ADO.NET
- Difference between .com, .net and .org domains
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.