Given a range represented by two positive integers l and r and two integers d and m. Find the count of numbers lying in the range which is divisible by m and have digit d at even positions of the number. (i.e. digit d should not occur on odd position). Note: Both numbers l and r have same number of digits.
Input : l = 10, r = 99, d = 8, m = 2
Output : 8
Explanation :Valid numbers are 18, 28, 38, 48, 58, 68, 78 and 98.
88 is not a valid number since 8 is also present at odd position.
Input : l = 1000, r = 9999, d = 7, m = 19
Output : 6
Prerequisites : Digit DP
Approach: Firstly, if we are able to count the required numbers up to R i.e. in the range [0, R], we can easily reach our answer in the range [L, R] by solving for from zero to R and then subtracting the answer we get after solving for from zero to L – 1. Now, we need to define the DP states.
- Since we can consider our number as a sequence of digits, one state is the position at which we are currently in. This position can have values from 0 to 18 if we are dealing with the numbers up to 1018. In each recursive call, we try to build the sequence from left to right by placing a digit from 0 to 9.
- Second state is the remainder which defines the modulus of the number we have made so far modulo m.
- Another state is the boolean variable tight which tells the number we are trying to build has already become smaller than R so that in the upcoming recursive calls we can place any digit from 0 to 9. If the number has not become smaller, the maximum limit of digit we can place is digit at the current position in R.
If the current position is an even position, we simply place digit d and recursively solve for the next positions. But if the current position is an odd position we can place any digit except d and solve for the next positions.
Below is the implementation of the above approach.
Time Complexity : O(18 * (m – 1) * 2), if we are dealing with the numbers upto 1018
- Count of Numbers in Range where first digit is equal to last digit of the number
- Count Numbers in Range with difference between Sum of digits at even and odd positions as Prime
- Count of Numbers in a Range where digit d occurs exactly K times
- Count numbers in a range that are divisible by all array elements
- Count of numbers between range having only non-zero digits whose sum of digits is N and number is divisible by M
- N digit numbers divisible by 5 formed from the M digits
- Numbers that are not divisible by any number in the range [2, 10]
- Count integers in a range which are divisible by their euler totient value
- Count of all N digit numbers such that num + Rev(num) = 10^N - 1
- Count numbers from 1 to n that have 4 as a digit
- Count all possible N digit numbers that satisfy the given condition
- Count numbers (smaller than or equal to N) with given digit sum
- Count of n digit numbers whose sum of digits equals to given sum
- Count total number of N digit numbers such that the difference between sum of even and odd digits is 1
- Count numbers which are divisible by all the numbers from 2 to 10
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.