Compiler and Interpreter are two different ways to execute a program written in a programming or scripting language.
A compiler takes entire program and converts it into object code which is typically stored in a file. The object code is also refereed as binary code and can be directly executed by the machine after linking. Examples of compiled programming languages are C and C++.
An Interpreter directly executes instructions written in a programming or scripting language without previously converting them to an object code or machine code. Examples of interpreted languages are Perl, Python and Matlab.
Following are some interesting facts about interpreters and compilers.
1) Both compilers and interpreters covert source code (text files) into tokens, both may generate a parse tree, and both may generate immediate instructions. The basic difference is that a compiler system, including a (built in or separate) linker, generates a stand alone machine code program, while an interpreter system instead performs the actions described by the high level program.
2) Once a program is compiled, its source code is not useful for running the code. For interpreted programs, the source code is needed to run the program every time.
3) In general, interpreted programs run slower than the compiled programs.
4) Java programs are first compiled to an intermediate form, then interpreted by the interpreter.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Language Processors: Assembler, Compiler and Interpreter
- Check whether the number can be made perfect square after adding 1
- Number of Hamiltonian cycle
- Why learning C Programming is a must?
- Program to calculate the area between two Concentric Circles
- Find frequency of smallest value in an array
- Count the number of pairs that have column sum greater than row sum
- Shortest path on a Square
- Program to Assign grades to a student using Nested If Else
- Largest sphere that can be inscribed in a right circular cylinder inscribed in a frustum
- Find the resulting Colour Combination
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle inscirbed within a square inscribed in a semicircle
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle inscribed within a Square inscribed in an equilateral triangle
- Step by Step guide to Write your own WordPress Template