Compiler and Interpreter are two different ways to execute a program written in a programming or scripting language.
A compiler takes entire program and converts it into object code which is typically stored in a file. The object code is also refereed as binary code and can be directly executed by the machine after linking. Examples of compiled programming languages are C and C++.
An Interpreter directly executes instructions written in a programming or scripting language without previously converting them to an object code or machine code. Examples of interpreted languages are Perl, Python and Matlab.
Following are some interesting facts about interpreters and compilers.
1) Both compilers and interpreters covert source code (text files) into tokens, both may generate a parse tree, and both may generate immediate instructions. The basic difference is that a compiler system, including a (built in or separate) linker, generates a stand alone machine code program, while an interpreter system instead performs the actions described by the high level program.
2) Once a program is compiled, its source code is not useful for running the code. For interpreted programs, the source code is needed to run the program every time.
3) In general, interpreted programs run slower than the compiled programs.
4) Java programs are first compiled to an intermediate form, then interpreted by the interpreter.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Language Processors: Assembler, Compiler and Interpreter
- Blog | Programming Guidelines
- AKTU (UPTU) Previous Year Solved Papers | C Programming
- Ratio of the distance between the centers of the circles and the point of intersection of two direct common tangents to the circles
- Compare sum of first N-1 elements to Nth element of an array
- Number of positions such that adding K to the element is greater than sum of all other elements
- Meteor | Introduction to Meteor
- Find number of magical pairs of string of length L
- Smallest and Largest sum of two n-digit numbers
- Find the Diameter or Longest chord of a Circle
- Determine the position of the third person on regular N sided polygon
- Predict the winner in Coin Game
- Count of quadruplets with given Sum
- OpenMP | Introduction with Installation Guide