We can check a file is hidden or not in Java using isHidden() method of File class in Java. This method returns a boolean value – true or false.
public static boolean isHidden(Path path) throws IOException parameters: path – the path to the file to test. throws: IOException – if an I/O error occurs SecurityException – In the case of the default provider, and a security manager is installed, the checkRead method is invoked to check read access to the file. returns: true: if file is hidden false: if file is not hidden
The precise definition of hidden is platform or provider dependent.
UNIX: A file is hidden if its name begins with a period character (‘.’).
Windows: A file is hidden if it is not a directory and the DOS hidden attribute is set.
Depending on the implementation the isHidden() method may require to access the file system to determine if the file is considered hidden.
This article is contributed by Saket Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How to find and open the Hidden files in a Directory using Java
- Hidden Form Field using Annotation | Java Servlet
- Java.io.File Class in Java
- Delete a file using Java
- Java | Renaming a file
- File Permissions in Java
- Java Class File
- Java | Appending String to a File
- Reading a CSV file in Java using OpenCSV
- Writing a CSV file in Java using OpenCSV
- How to play an Audio file using Java
- How to run java class file which is in different directory?
- Myth about the file name and class name in Java
- Copying file using FileStreams in Java
- Moving a file from one directory to another using Java
- Size of file on the Internet using Java
- File isFile() method in Java with Examples
- File delete() method in Java with Examples
- File length() method in Java with Examples
- File exists() method in Java with examples