Change gender of string i.e toggle all the gender-specific words in the input string.
Input: “she is my sister” Output: “he is my brother”. There are two gender-specific words in this sentence:“she” and “sister”. After toggling gender specific words to their respective counterparts - “he” and “brother” : Gender specific words of the string are now changed.
- Maintain a hash-map which maps all the “female” words to the “male” words and all the “male” words to “female” ones.
- Then for each word in the string, we check whether this is a gender-specific word or not. If it is then we swap this word with its counterpart word. Else we don’t swap this word.
- All the words gets concatenated in a new string, which at the end is printed and is our required string.
Time Complexity: O(N^2), where N is the length of the string, as the ‘+’/ ‘append’ operator of the string can take upto O(N) time and assuming that lookup in the dictionary takes O(1) worse case time.
Auxiliary Space: Apart from the dictionary that maps all the words to its counterpart, we declare O(N) space for the new string, where N is the length of input string.
Scope for Improvement:
- We can add more words and their counterparts in the dictionary to increase the accuracy of the program. For example, we can add – “actor , actress” , “god , goddess” to our dictionary.
- A text file of words of all female and male words can also be imported.
- The program can be modified to become case insensitive.
This article is contributed by Rachit Belwariar . If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.
In case you wish to attend live classes with industry experts, please refer DSA Live Classes