In C/C++ there is only one right shift operator ‘>>’ which should be used only for positive integers or unsigned integers. Use of right shift operator for negative numbers is not recommended in C/C++, and when used for negative numbers, output is compiler dependent (See this). Unlike C++, Java supports following two right shift operators.
1) >> (Signed right shift) In Java, the operator ‘>>’ is signed right shift operator. All integers are signed in Java, and it is fine to use >> for negative numbers. The operator ‘>>’ uses the sign bit (left most bit) to fill the trailing positions after shift. If the number is negative, then 1 is used as a filler and if the number is positive, then 0 is used as a filler. For example, if binary representation of number is 10….100, then right shifting it by 2 using >> will make it 11…….1.
See following Java programs as example ‘>>’
2) >>> (Unsigned right shift) In Java, the operator ‘>>>’ is unsigned right shift operator. It always fills 0 irrespective of the sign of the number.
7 3 1
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Left Shift and Right Shift Operators in C/C++
- Bitwise operators in Java
- Bitwise Operators in C/C++
- What are the differences between bitwise and logical AND operators in C/C++?
- Check if a number is divisible by 17 using bitwise operators
- Check if a number is multiple of 9 using bitwise operators
- Toggle case of a string using Bitwise Operators
- Check if a number is divisible by 8 using bitwise operators
- Russian Peasant (Multiply two numbers using bitwise operators)
- Case conversion (Lower to Upper and Vice Versa) of a string using BitWise operators in C/C++
- Total pairs in an array such that the bitwise AND, bitwise OR and bitwise XOR of LSB is 1
- Leftover element after performing alternate Bitwise OR and Bitwise XOR operations on adjacent pairs
- Operators in Java
- Find subsequences with maximum Bitwise AND and Bitwise OR
- Java | Operators | Question 7
Improved By : nagen010