The java.math.BigInteger.divide(BigInteger val) is used to calculate the division of two BigIntegers. BigInteger class internally uses array of integers for processing, the operation on object of BigIntegers are not as fast as on primitives. This method performs an operation upon the current BigInteger by which this method is called and BigInteger passed as the parameter.
public BigInteger divide(BigInteger val)
Parameters: This method accepts a parameter val which is the value that divides this BigInteger.
Return value: This method returns a BigInteger which holds division (this / val) in Integer (non – floating point value) i.e. it rounds off the result to its floor value.
Exception: The parameter val must not be 0 otherwise Arithmetic Exception is thrown.
Below programs is used to illustrate the divide() method of BigInteger.
The division of 400000000000000000000000000000000000 by 8000000 is 50000000000000000000000000000
Example 2: To demonstrate how it rounds off the result
The division of 456216545 by 21255132 is 21 Using double result is 21.46383024109189
Example 3: To demonstrate Exception thrown when divided by 0
java.lang.ArithmeticException: BigInteger divide by zero
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Java 8 | BigInteger divideAndRemainder() method with Examples
- Java 8 | BigInteger longValueExact() Method with Examples
- Java 8 | BigInteger shortValueExact() Method with Examples
- BigInteger intValueExact() Method in Java with Examples
- Java 8 | BigInteger byteValueExact() method with Examples
- BigInteger isProbablePrime() Method in Java with Examples
- BigInteger add() Method in Java with Examples
- BigInteger gcd() Method in Java with Examples
- BigInteger nextProbablePrime() Method in Java with Examples
- BigInteger subtract() Method in Java with Examples
- BigInteger multiply() Method in Java with Examples
- BigInteger sqrtAndRemainder() Method in Java with Examples
- Java.math.BigInteger.modInverse() method in Java
- Java.math.BigInteger.probablePrime() method in Java
- BigInteger signum() Method in Java
- BigInteger shiftRight() Method in Java
- BigInteger abs() Method in Java
- BigInteger modPow() Method in Java
- BigInteger or() method in Java
- BigInteger xor() Method in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai