After successfully installing the Android studio and opening it for the first time, a number of options appear as shown in the below images.
Below are the steps to start and set up a new android project in Android Studio.
Select the first option to start a new android project.
Then, name your application in the ‘Application name’ Text box.
By default, the application name appears as “MyApplication”. Click on “Next” after filling the Application name field, leaving the other fields to their default values.
Then select the Minimum SDK to select the operating system which must be least version to run your app, here “Jelly Bean” is made Minimum SDK, and phones and tablets with versions lower to this OS will not be able to run your apps. Click on “Next”.
- The next step is to choose the Activity to mobile. Activity in Android refers to a single screen with a user interface. For Beginners, “Empty Activity” is recommended.
Then, fill the Activity name text field. By default, “MainActivity” is filled in this text box as the name of your activity. In android studio, files are usually named in camel case. An xml file of the activity is created using the first word in the Activity name. An xml file is a file to provide functionalities of user interface for our app.
Click on “Finish”.
Then, a default app is created with all default files. And you can now start writing the application code.
- Android | How to add Radio Buttons in an Android Application?
- Android | How to Request permissions in Android Application?
- Android | AdMob Banner Ads for Android Studio
- Android | AdMob Interstitial Ads for Android Studio
- Android | Android Application File Structure
- Android | Running your first Android app
- Starting with first Servlet Application
- Android | 8.0 Oreo
- How to use WebView in Android
- How to use CheckBox in Android
- Android | App to Add Two Numbers
- Android | RecyclerView
- Layouts in Android UI Design
- Android | Creating a RatingBar
- Android | build.gradle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.