Satellite communication is an electronic communication package placed in an orbit. Its prime objective is to initiate or assist through space. It has made a major contribution to the pattern of international communication.
The satellite microwave is basically a microwave relay station in space. It uses a geosynchronous satellite to relay the radio signal transmitted from the ground station. For communication signals, these satellites act as relay stations. From the earth station, the satellite accepts data/signals, amplifies them, and re-transmit them to another earth station. Data can be transmitted to the other side of the earth using such a setup in only one step. Most companies that use satellite microwave lease access to the satellites for an exorbitant fee.
Satellite communication has a number of advantages:
- Through satellite transmission, coverage over geographical area is quite large mainly for sparsely populated areas.
- High bandwidth.
- Wireless and mobile communication applications can be easily established by satellite communication independent of location.
- It is used in wide variety of applications such as global mobile communication, private business networks, Long distance telephone transmission, weather forecasting, radio/TV signal broadcasting, gathering intelligence in military, navigation of ships and air crafts, connecting remote areas, television distribution etc.
- Security in satellite transmission is usually provided by the coding and decoding equipment.
- Service from one single provider is easy to obtain and uniform service is available.
- Over long distances, it can be cheaper.
- The laying and maintenance is easy and cheap in satellite communication therefore it is best alterative.
- During critical condition, each Earth Station may be removed relatively quickly from a location and reinstalled somewhere else.
- Ground station sites are easy to install and maintain.
- Design, development, investment and insurance of satellite requires higher cost.
- To reach the satellite from Earth, time can vary between 270 milliseconds and return again to 320 milliseconds. This propagation delay can cause an echo over telephone connections
- Satellites are not easy to repair and maintain.
- Some circumstances like weather or sunspots affect the satellite’s signal and can cause interference and make proper operation of the satellite very difficult.
- It requires to be monitored and controlled on regular periods so that it remains in the orbit, once it has been launched.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Satellite Communication and Optical Communication
- Advantages and disadvantages of Remote Communication Technology
- Advantages and disadvantages of Wireless Communication
- Difference between Analog Communication and Digital Communication
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Subnetting
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer Networking
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology
- Difference between Terrestrial Microwave and Satellite Microwave Transmission System
- Difference between GPS and Satellite Navigation System
- Global Mobile Satellite System
- Differences between Point-to-Point and Multi-point Communication
- Two way communication between Client and Server using Win32 Threads
- Network and Communication
- Difference Between Computer Network and Data Communication
- Near Field Communication (NFC)
- Traditional wireless mobile communication
- What is APPC(Advanced Peer to Peer Communication)?
- Wireless Communication | Set 1
- Data Communication Terminologies
- Wireless Communication | Set 3
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.