Write a modified strcmp function which ignores cases and returns -1 if s1 < s2, 0 if s1 = s2, else returns 1. For example, your strcmp should consider "GeeksforGeeks" and "geeksforgeeks" as same string.
Source: Microsoft Interview Set 5
Following solution assumes that characters are represented using ASCII representation, i.e., codes for ‘a’, ‘b’, ‘c’, … ‘z’ are 97, 98, 99, … 122 respectively. And codes for ‘A’, “B”, ‘C’, … ‘Z’ are 65, 66, … 95 respectively.
Following are the detailed steps.
1) Iterate through every character of both strings and do following for each character.
…a) If str1[i] is same as str2[i], then continue.
…b) If inverting the 6th least significant bit of str1[i] makes it same as str2[i], then continue. For example, if str1[i] is 65, then inverting the 6th bit will make it 97. And if str1[i] is 97, then inverting the 6th bit will make it 65.
…c) If any of the above two conditions is not true, then break.
2) Compare the last (or first mismatching in case of not same) characters.
ret: 1 ret: -1 ret: -1 ret: -1 ret: 0 ret: 0
This article is compiled by Narendra Kangralkar. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Check if two strings are same ignoring their cases
- Write your own atoi()
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Write a program to reverse an array or string
- Count of lines required to write the given String
- Write an Efficient Method to Check if a Number is Multiple of 3
- Write an Efficient C Program to Reverse Bits of a Number
- Write a function that returns 2 for input 1 and returns 1 for 2
- Generate first K multiples of N using Bitwise operators
- Perform range sum queries on string as per given condition
- Generate a String of having N*N distinct non-palindromic Substrings
- Lexicographically largest possible String after removal of K characters
- Maximum area of a Rectangle that can be circumscribed about a given Rectangle of size LxW
- Check if a given string is Pangram in Java
Improved By : rathbhupendra