What is an Expression and What are the types of Expressions?
Expression: An expression is a combination of operators, constants and variables. An expression may consist of one or more operands, and zero or more operators to produce a value.
Types of Expressions:
Expressions may be of the following types:
- Constant expressions: Constant Expressions consists of only constant values. A constant value is one that doesn’t change.
5, 10 + 5 / 6.0, 'x’
- Integral expressions: Integral Expressions are those which produce integer results after implementing all the automatic and explicit type conversions.
x, x * y, x + int( 5.0)
where x and y are integer variables.
- Floating expressions: Float Expressions are which produce floating point results after implementing all the automatic and explicit type conversions.
x + y, 10.75
where x and y are floating point variables.
- Relational expressions: Relational Expressions yield results of type bool which takes a value true or false. When arithmetic expressions are used on either side of a relational operator, they will be evaluated first and then the results compared. Relational expressions are also known as Boolean expressions.
x <= y, x + y > 2
- Logical expressions: Logical Expressions combine two or more relational expressions and produces bool type results.
x > y && x == 10, x == 10 || y == 5
- Pointer expressions: Pointer Expressions produce address values.
&x, ptr, ptr++
where x is a variable and ptr is a pointer.
- Bitwise expressions: Bitwise Expressions are used to manipulate data at bit level. They are basically used for testing or shifting bits.
x << 3
shifts three bit position to left
y >> 1
shifts one bit position to right.
Shift operators are often used for multiplication and division by powers of two.
Note: An expression may also use combinations of the above expressions. Such expressions are known as compound expressions.
Feeling lost in the world of random DSA topics, wasting time without progress? It's time for a change! Join our DSA course, where we'll guide you on an exciting journey to master DSA efficiently and on schedule.
Ready to dive in? Explore our Free Demo Content and join our DSA course, trusted by over 100,000 geeks!